Enhancing Outer Wall Quality in Ultimaker Cura Slicer

Milind_G
Go to solution Solved by Slashee_the_Cow,

Posted · Enhancing Outer Wall Quality in Ultimaker Cura Slicer

Hey everyone,

I've been using Ultimaker Cura slicer software for my 3D printing projects, and I'm really impressed with the results. However, I've encountered an issue with the outer wall quality that I'm hoping to address.

Currently, the software allows us to set the number of walls, where the inner walls can be multiple, but there's only a single outer wall. For instance, if I set the wall count to 5, I get 4 inner walls and 1 outer wall. Unfortunately, this has led to some problems, particularly under extrusion on the outer wall.

Since the outer wall is essentially the cosmetic face of the print, any under extrusion is quite noticeable and affects the overall quality of the print.

Here's my idea: It would be incredibly beneficial if the software could incorporate a feature that allows us to print multiple outer walls. For example, if I could set the outer wall count to 2 or more, it would help hide the under extrusion on the first outer wall. The subsequent outer walls would cover up any imperfections, resulting in a smoother and more aesthetically pleasing outer surface.

Has anyone else encountered this issue or found a workaround? It would be great to hear your thoughts and experiences with addressing under extrusion on the outer wall. And if anyone knows of potential updates or plugins that could bring the option of printing multiple outer walls in Ultimaker Cura, please do share.

Thanks in advance for your input.
I am attaching a picture for your reference.

Under_Extrusion.jpg

Standard disclaimer right now around here: Cura 5.4.0 has bugs. Use 5.3.1 unless you really need something that got added in 5.4.

As for your problem: in the profile settings, under Walls try setting Wall Ordering to "Outside to inside" . This prints the outer walls first (better for accuracy and helps make sure inner walls or infill don't poke through, main disadvantage is that it makes overhangs much much harder).

If that doesn't fix it (please try a print after changing the wall order and using Cura 5.3 before you resort to these):

Paranoid idea #1: Overextrude the outer walls just a teensy bit by increasing Material > Outer Wall Flow, but you'd probably want it like 105%, max (very very rarely do I come across a situation where adjusting this helps, but I do increase it on the initial layer in my standard profile just to help adhesion).

Paranoid idea #2: Slow down the printer while doing outer walls under Speed > Print Speed > Wall Speed > Outer Wall Speed. Can help reduce the effect if there's any bumps or knocks while it's printing an outer wall (where it's going to be the most visible) but again, don't change it too much or the extruder might start to clog up from constantly changing flow rates for different speeds.

4 hours ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

Hello thanks for your prompt response.
    - I would like to specify that I haven't upgraded the software to 5.4.0
    - I would not adjust the settings of "Wall Ordering to "Outside to inside"" Since most of my designs have overhangs.
    - I will try over extrude outer wall slightly as suggested but have a hunch that it might worsen the overall print.
    - I am already printing outer walls at 30mm/sec. So i guess this setting has nothing to do with my current scenario.

I am scratching my head around and i found something specious in my setting. I have enabled Coasting. To reduce the stringing. Is this is the culprit setting. I will try some other prints with this setting off. Meanwhile, i am open to more suggestions.

Thank you Community!

• Solution

Probably should have been more clear. My bad:

As long as you have supports on, overhangs will be fine if you print outside to inside, it will just increase the angle where it has to use supports instead of natural overhangs (e.g. while you might be able to print overhangs at 55° inside to outside, outside to inside it might only be able to do 65° or something). If you're relying on overhangs that need to not have support, it might be worth testing what sort of overhang you can do outside to inside, just to see if you can get away with it.

Coasting: you should probably leave it off (explanation follows) there's a possibility it's the culprit. I know it's mainly used to hide the Z seam (which based on your picture appears to be the corner on the left for most of it but not in the area near the port, I can't see where it is there, but Cura does like to hide it near corners) but I don't know if it will affect anywhere that's not near the Z seam. It does result in underextrusion where it's used, and I can actually see that seems to be affecting the print quality (near the lumpy Z seam on the left, to the left of it going around the corner is much less smooth than after the seam).

Also about the print speed: on my profile I have walls set to 25mm/s, just to make sure they have a good chance to adhere before it starts laying down other stuff. But it really depends on your printer (unless you happen to have an Ender-3 v2 Neo like me) because you can't really do a proper comparison between different models.

If you could provide the Cura project file (.3mf) for this it might help to see if there's anything else that seems like it could cause a problem.

Posted (edited) · Enhancing Outer Wall Quality in Ultimaker Cura Slicer
    15 hours ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

15 hours ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

"Coasting: you should probably leave it off (explanation follows) there's a possibility it's the culprit. I know it's mainly used to hide the Z seam (which based on your picture appears to be the corner on the left for most of it but not in the area near the port, I can't see where it is there, but Cura does like to hide it near corners) but I don't know if it will affect anywhere that's not near the Z seam. It does result in underextrusion where it's used, and I can actually see that seems to be affecting the print quality (near the lumpy Z seam on the left, to the left of it going around the corner is much less smooth than after the seam)."
    Infact you analysis is correct. I tried with coasting off and it worked for me.

"(unless you happen to have an Ender-3 v2 Neo like me)"
    Yes ! I do also have Ender-3 V2. My workhorse for Now !

"If you could provide the Cura project file (.3mf) for this it might help to see if there's anything else that seems like it could cause a problem."
    Sure ! I would value your Insights and Analysis. Please feel free to suggest me any further changes that I can make for this print be more Cosmetic and Time Efficient.
    P.S. - I made that port disaapear 😉

V3_Enclosure_Frame.3mf

Edited by Milind_G
    forgot to uplod the project file