Platform not lifting when starting job (Ultimaker 2)

Alco_wb

Posted · Platform not lifting when starting job (Ultimaker 2)

Hi guys, the office I work for has an Ultimaker 2 and it hasnt been used for a few years.    As far as I know it was working the last time it was used.

So I downloaded the latest cura, updated the firmware and created a job.

When starting the job though, it doesnt raise the platform, it just starts going through the motions with the platform at the bottom..

I have run a platform calibration, the platform works fine.   Any ideas?

Please post your project file from within cura.  Do "file" "save project" and post that file here.

Do you use an SD card to print?  Or did you try printing through a USB cable (not supported).

Unfortunately it is a confidential architectural model (Perhaps I shouldnt have started off with something hard)..

I used USB printing, I didnt know that wasnt supported.  I can try via a SD card, 

Thanks, that gives me something to try!

I will try test file, and then try printing it via the card.

• Like 1

It's possible to print over USB but not recommended.  To do it that way you have to change some of the "machine settings".  Printing over USB tends to be unreliable and not suitable for prints longer than an hour (in my opinion) and even though it's not officially supported you can do it.  But you have to change some settings and I forget exactly what you have to change.  I think you have to switch to Marlin mode maybe in machine settings.  But please don't try it unless you have a very good reason.  And unless you have disabled all screen savers, OS updating, power savers, disk savers, and don't use the computer for anything else other than printing and then disable all other updates of software such as pdf viewer, chrome, office, well everything installed - you need to disable the update features.  Heck you should probably just take the computer off the net as well to be safer.  Also use a good quality USB cable and make sure it's short.  And you still may get bad bits thrown in there.

Basically if you are going to do USB printing you should probably buy a Raspberry Pi and use that as the host and install octoprint software on the raspberry pi.  That tends to work pretty well.  And again, you have to change machine settings.