Slicing it in this font makes parts of the letter broken/disappear. How to fix?

superdik

Posted · Slicing it in this font makes parts of the letter broken/disappear. How to fix?

Hello there. I wanted to try and print out in the font Vivaldi but for some reason it comes out broken. I tried to do the wall transitioning filter margin as a past post had somewhat this issue although increasing the numbers really didn't help. I don't know if I have to increase it even higher or it's not possible to print in this font? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. I'm using Ankermake M5 for my printer, .4 nozzle (can change it to .2).

Screenshot2023-09-11212318.thumb.jpg.39c3a93a3a1af29f43ae572f0c330926.jpgAM5_output.3mfScreenshot2023-09-11212254.thumb.jpg.d02a1cd069605a1d80123c00a0582423.jpg

Posted (edited) · Slicing it in this font makes parts of the letter broken/disappear. How to fix?

Looks like the lines of the text are simply too thin at some areas. If your line width is higher than the thickness of the letters, they won't print properly.

If you haven't already, try enabling the "Print Thin Walls" feature and adjust the "Minimum Thin Wall Line Width" to see if you can get an acceptable result. Be aware that it can be hard to get good looking letters when they are that small/thin, because the printer can have a hard time printing consistently when outputting thinner lines.

If that doesn't work or you've already tried it I think you might want to switch to the 0.2 nozzle, which will be able to print thinner walls more easily.

Edit:

I just saw that you have the "Minimum Wall Line Width" set to 0.6. You might want to lower that one quite a bit as well and try again.

And while we're at it, if you don't already use it I would recommend getting the "Settings Guide" extension by Ghostkeeper. It's perfect if you want to learn more in-depth facts about what all the different settings do and how they affect your print.

Edited by 43915

Posted (edited) · Slicing it in this font makes parts of the letter broken/disappear. How to fix?

Hello,

I agree with @43915 that you have are issues with the settings.  This is just me but when I start a new project I reset my setting profile (by re-selecting it and discarding changes) so I have a base to work from.  I make all the settings visible and take my time going through them.  In this case "Horizontal Hole Expansion" at 0.2 is acting on any area that is bounded all around (like the loop in the capital H).  The "Outer Wall Inset" at 0.15 is causing the walls to move in by an additional  0.15 so the cross sections are 0.5mm narrower than they appear.  Between those two settings the letters are getting really skinny and have become un-slicable.

This is in 5.4.0.  I cheated and dropped the line width for everything to .35 and the minimum line width to .28.  If I was going to print this I would probably go with a 0.3 nozzle.  Cheating on the line width is OK but you really don't get the squish you want for a good strong print.  For this it would be fine.

If you are going to print this in two colors I would advise to let the base color do the first layer of the letters, and then make the change.  That will eliminate a lot of cleanup as the initial stringing (if any) will be the same color as the base.  You might want to consider not using any "wipe distance" as these letters are pretty narrow and there really isn't anywhere to wipe to.  Z-hops might be a good idea as well.

image.thumb.png.71d1893c9e27df40743b29a8aa24ddcc.png

Edited by GregValiant

Posted · Slicing it in this font makes parts of the letter broken/disappear. How to fix?

I used the horizontal expansion and changed the nozzle to .2 and the prints are coming out good. Didn't know about that figure until it was pointed out. Thank you for your help. Have a good weekend now.