S5 "Detected move outside of normal printer volume"

SimonG_SEC
Go to solution Solved by Dustin,

Posted · S5 "Detected move outside of normal printer volume"

Ultimaker S5 Pro

Approx. 8 hours into a 24hr print the print has stopped with   ! Print job error  "Detected move outside of normal printer volume" 

The job was sliced with Cura 5.4.0  the printer is on the latest firmware or at most one revision back.  Will update once I have rebooted the printer.

Printing with Tough PLA and Breakaway support . . . 

Any pointers on this issue ?  it's a little annoying from a £10k printer . . .  we have lost material and time, the print should have been complete today, now we will have to wait till Monday, assuming it doesn't break again.

Thanks.

Posted (edited) · S5 "Detected move outside of normal printer volume"

So I did the reboot from the touch screen . . .   then I got a 

"! Error
    Unknown error 84 occurred.   Restart the printer or to go to ultimaker.com/ER999. "

so I did a hard restart (power switch)  and it looks to have booted back up OK.

Firmware version is:  8.2.1

Edited by SimonG_SEC

Did the "detected move outside..."  come with an error code that you can look up on the ultimaker website?  I'm 90% certain that is a gcode error.  Probably not cura's fault - probably, somehow, the gcode got corrupted somewhere.  Where was the gcode file stored (<option A> on USB stick?  If so I'd read it and check it against the orgiinal or another identical sliced version).  Or was it through the network?  (then it may have been corrupted on the <option B>"hard drive" in the printer).  Or maybe through the <optionc C>communication between the 2 computers: the linux computer sends the gcodes to the computer with Marlin firmware on it that controls the servos.

I suspect option B and part of your "hard drive" (it's SSD) got corrupted.  Fortunately these SSD's detect bad blocks and reroute the bad blocks and so you probably won't see any problems going forwards.

On 9/15/2023 at 2:20 PM, gr5 said:

Did the "detected move outside..."  come with an error code that you can look up on the ultimaker website?

Sorry, been waiting to get my first posts moderated . . .

No, I just got the message and the option to Reboot as a button on the touch screen.
    We send the print/project to the Ultimaker Digital Factory and then print it from there.

On 9/15/2023 at 2:53 PM, Dustin said:

@SimonG_SEC if you got an "Error 84" I highly recommend reaching out to UltiMaker Support Directly.
    UltiMaker does not provide formal support via the community.

I was just posting here to see if it's a known issue . . .

I followed the advice on the Ultimaker website and disconnected the print head cable and reconnected it, it looked OK, after a little while we resumed part of the print (its multiple parts) which completed without issue, then did the final larger part of the print (18 hrs) which has also completed without issue.

Perhaps it is bead blocks on the internal SSD, is there anyway of checking the status of this ?  or doing the equivalent of a disk scan to mark any other bad block in advance of our next 24hr print 😉

I have no idea what error 84 is.  It's not on the list of possible errors anywhere I can find so I have no idea what to do if you get that.  Do you know it Dustin?

"Detected move outside of normal printer volume" however I am familiar with.  It means the X,Y, or Z position commanded in a gcode is outside the printer volume.  That would most likely indicate bad bits in the gcode file which can happen over the network, on a hard drive, but most likely on the SSD as it is known to get these occasionally.  I have no idea what messing with the print head cable would have to do this as the movement gcodes are not sent to the print head.

I'm ignoring the 84 as I have no idea what that is.

If you are good with linux you can put the printer in "development" mode, then ssh into the printer and run linux utilities to read every block on the SSD but I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Bad blocks are rerouted automatically in the SSD chip.  So anytime one is found it is immediately fixed such that you just have to print something new and it will be written to the good blocks on the SSD.

I would also contact support - it's free to ask questions.  If you are within the warranty period and you get these errors a lot they might send you a replacement computer.

3 hours ago, gr5 said:

I'm ignoring the 84 as I have no idea what that is.

Sorry for adding to the confusion a little . . .  after the error 84 and then a hard reboot we had another error and I think it was this one that led me to disconnect the printer head cable.  I didn't take a picture of the last error . . .

We have had the printer since July last year so assuming the warranty is 12 months we will be out of warranty, our reseller is pretty good though so will contact them and let them know what has happened.

I'm not a Linux person so won't go down the SSH route for now . . . even though I know what it is 😉  I understand about bad blocks being marked but I'd rather not loose a 24hr print to get new bad blocks marked in future if possible.

Will see if my reseller can suggest anything helpful and report back here if they do.

Thanks.

Personally I'd wait until it happened twice in the same month before changing out the linux board.  They sell it and the other pcb as one assembly so it's a bit expensive I think to replace it all - something like 500 euros maybe?  But if it's the company paying for it then maybe it's worth it.

My S5 linux computer SSD got a bad block about 3 years into my ownership and it was much worse - I had to redo the partitions.  It has been good every since.  I want to say it's been about 3 years since then but I'm not certain the S5 has been out for 6 years?

Well although the print "completed" it didn't do it correctly, after approx. 2/3rds of the print the next 1/3rd has been printed shifted in the Y direction by approx. 10mm.

image.thumb.png.c47f1087ed1e8f5cec9f4ff6397f9f83.png

• Solution

Error 84 is your root cause and you wont fix other issues without addressing it first.
    Everything else is a red redharing.

I don't have much more to share about that as UltiMaker is currently looking into that Error still.
    I would recommend contacting UltiMaker support directly as I mentioned earlier to resolve this issue.

Dustin knows more about "error 84" than I do (I know almost nothing).  It sounds like you want to get through to UM support in Netherlands so fill out that form above that Dustin linked to and choose "hardware issue" and mention "Error 84" in your description of the issue.

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

I would recommend contacting UltiMaker support directly as I mentioned earlier to resolve this issue.

I'm filling in the support request form right now . . .

One thing to add which may well be relevant, the failed prints have been prepared by another Engineer using tree supports which obviously generate a lot more G codes . . .  I'm re-printing with standard supports.

With a working printer it doesn't matter if you have 3X the gcodes for supports.  It really doesn't matter.  You can do millions of moves.  These printers are work horses and can normally print pretty much nonstop for years.

Someimtes a slip like you have is caused by friction so push the head around by hand and then put (only) 1 drop of oil on each of the 6 rods sliding the head around to spread the oil.  Only one drop.  Make sure you get all 6.  Then see if friction feels different.  Usually not.  Usually it doesn't need it.  Sometimes it does.

Although usually you get more gradual layer shifting on many layers with friction.  With a sudden change like that it's usually a loose set screw on a pulley but that is pretty much unheard of on an S5 as the factory has really good quality control with torque wrenches and so on.

Overheating of a stepper driver can also cause a sudden shift.  Is this a hot working environment where the printer is?

Of course flakey firmware can cause an issue like this as well.  Due to a dying SSD perhaps.  Whatever is causing the error 84 is probably somehow related to the sudden shift.  Not cura.  Not gcodes.

4 hours ago, gr5 said:

Someimtes a slip like you have is caused by friction so push the head around by hand and then put (only) 1 drop of oil on each of the 6 rods sliding the head around to spread the oil.

For the most part I have been keeping up with the maintenance schedule, so oiling the rods and checking the play on the pulleys, etc. 

My point about the G codes is that it will take more space and may have been exposing more bad blocks on the SSD than our usual prints.

oh.  well the bad blocks are rerouted pretty quickly.  Once you write a new gcode file you are writing only into blocks that have never failed before.

It may be something completely different.  Ultimaker support in Netherlands know much more.  I know some of those people and they are pretty good.  They have lots of inside knowledge.  They will want to see your log files.