My print keeps being filled in

Mutiiny

Posted · My print keeps being filled in

I'm new to printing and I'm trying to print this wheel for a model and every time I slice it Cura fills in the entire middle section. 

I have tried to search on how to fix this for hours now and no matter what settings I pick it still becomes filled. 

Appreciate any help on how to resolve this.

wCVQuu3.png

buVJvqU.png

I've had this happen a few times before. It is almost always a problem with your .stl

Try to export the model as a .3mf and see if that helps. Or try to see if you have multiple bodies in your CAD file, that can sometimes throw cura for a loop.

4 hours ago, 2021coyneo said:

I've had this happen a few times before. It is almost always a problem with your .stl

Try to export the model as a .3mf and see if that helps. Or try to see if you have multiple bodies in your CAD file, that can sometimes throw cura for a loop.

These are the files I have. Ill try to export it as .3mf 

I also got these files online.

Vossen VVSCVT Gloss Wheel separated.stl Vossen VVSCVT Gloss Wheel.stl

Posted (edited) · My print keeps being filled in

Go to the Marketplace and install the Mesh Tools plugin.  After restarting Cura and loading the "separated" file I get this view of a lot of polka-dot  surfaces indicating errors in the model.  You can also see a red area on the tire that faces upward.  That indicates surfaces that are inverted (inside out).

I'm not able to repair the model.  The tire comes out solid and that's how it would print as an assembly - the wheel would disappear inside the "solid" tire.

image.thumb.png.039a1025e56e9626be4ad228a95fec6e.png

That is just a really bad model.  Cura can't slice it and neither could PrusaSlicer or IdeaMaker.

Edited by GregValiant

On 9/17/2023 at 7:17 PM, GregValiant said:

Go to the Marketplace and install the Mesh Tools plugin.  After restarting Cura and loading the "separated" file I get this view of a lot of polka-dot  surfaces indicating errors in the model.  You can also see a red area on the tire that faces upward.  That indicates surfaces that are inverted (inside out).

I'm not able to repair the model.  The tire comes out solid and that's how it would print as an assembly - the wheel would disappear inside the "solid" tire.

image.thumb.png.039a1025e56e9626be4ad228a95fec6e.png

That is just a really bad model.  Cura can't slice it and neither could PrusaSlicer or IdeaMaker.

Well dang that kind of sucks cause I actually paid for this file to print these specific wheels. 

Is there anyway to fix this model? 

Definitely fixable. You have to deal with the two issues. Inverted face orientation and non-manifold geometry.

Bad face orientation:

Screenshot2023-09-19060009.thumb.png.041349a9fa307b05e7629f741b814d30.png

These two parts are non-manifold geometry:

Screenshot2023-09-19060134.thumb.png.9cb90ffc89b33ebc353113235767aa97.png

Posted (edited) · My print keeps being filled in

The parts appear to have been scanned and they are highly detailed.  Whatever software was used to convert the point cloud into a model seems to have erred.

Repairing the tire causes the area where the rim goes to be lost.  Subtracting a cylinder seems to have fixed it.  The rim itself repaired OK.  You'll have to decide.

I used MS 3D Builder for the alterations.

I make no guarantee, warranty, proclamation, edict, and issue no manifesto regarding the suitability of this model for printing...just sayin'.

Vossen VVSCVT Gloss Wheel Assy.stl

Edited by GregValiant
    • Like 1