Merge manually works like merge automatically?

dricog

Posted · Merge manually works like merge automatically?

Hello!

I have problems merging three pieces in Ultimaker Cura. Two pieces merge fine but the other one does not. Modifying the origin would take me much time, so I want to know if I move the third piece manually to assemble it, will it adhere correctly?

Thank you 🙂

Posted (edited) · Merge manually works like merge automatically?

Your question is a little unclear. You have two objects that merged fine but another one that doesn't and you want to merge it in Cura by moving it into position partially inside the other?

If that's the case, it should work fine as long as in the print settings you have Mesh Fixes > Union Overlapping Volumes turned on.

Edit: You might also want to enable Mesh Fixes > Remove Mesh Intersection. In a basic union it will do all of the models, meaning any overlap will result in it printing that area twice in the same layer (which is bad). For small overlaps (like touching each other enough to be part of the same body, but not largely inside one another) you don't have to worry, but if there's significant areas inside one another you definitely don't want it to print large areas twice every layer.

Edited by Slashee_the_Cow
    Added bit about intersection
    • Like 1

Posted · Merge manually works like merge automatically?

I think you may want to try grouping instead of merging. In Cura, merging is functionally mostly the same as grouping and putting the origins together.

• Like 1