Pause at layer script on a Tina 2S

jetfire158
Go to solution Solved by jetfire158,

Posted · Pause at layer script on a Tina 2S

Anyone have recommendations for what kind of pause script I should use on the Tina 2S? This pause is for a filament change. I tried to use the default Marlin, and it pauses just fine. I am able to change the filament; however, it won't do anything when I press resume on the printer. 

XP_Jedi_PLA_34mmx1_original2022_2S.3mf

You could try using this post-processing script by the awesome @GregValiant. Just one of his many fine works.

To install post-processing scripts, go to your Cura configuration folder (in Cura, go to Help > Show Configuration Folder) and put the .py file in the "scripts" subfolder. Then close and reopen Cura, go to Extensions > Post Processing > Modify G-Code, that'll bring up a window, click Add a Script and select the right script from the dropdown, then fill in the options on the right hand side... his scripts usually have no shortage of options.

(Sorry if you already know this, but I figure people who know what they're doing can just cruise over it, and if someone doesn't know the process then they don't have to reply asking for instructions)

PauseAtHeight.zip

Posted (edited) · Pause at layer script on a Tina 2S

Yep I already did that. If you check my 3mf file I already have a script there. The problem is that the Tina won't resume again after the pause. 

Note, it resumes fine I pause it manually on the printer itself. But it's just a bother having to watch for the right place to pause and would be pretty impossible to do on more complex multi-color designs. 

Edited by jetfire158

I don't think .3mf files include post-processing scripts unless you have the exact same script installed yourself. The file you posted in the other thread didn't open as a valid Cura project for me and while this one does, it doesn't show any post-processing scripts enabled (whereas looking at my older 3mf files, I can see when I started using a couple of custom scripts I wrote myself, because the older files don't include them).

If you could post your gcode, that's probably the best diagnostic information we can get.

Okay, I used the "Filament Change" script instead of the pause at height. That solved the resume print problem. However, the extruder did not go back to the right position on the model, leading to the design being misaligned. 

WT_XP_Jedi_PLA_34mmx1_original2022_2S_filament change.gcode

The M600 command that filament change uses should return it to the correct location, although your printer's firmware could override that default behaviour. Try enabling the "G-code before" and "G-code after" settings and put these in:

G-code before:

G60 S0

G-code after:

G61 S0

The default settings for those in the post-processor just make it beep before and after you do the filament change. As far as I can see there isn't a way to make it do both without some minor alterations to the script itself (that is an offer, if you need it).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

G-code before:

G60 S0

G-code after:

G61 S0

Well that just made it ignore the pause script. 😞

Edited by jetfire158

• Solution

Okay, well...I unchecked the option to let the printer firmware override Cura's retraction settings during the filament change, and instead allowed Cura's default retraction settings to override the printer's---that seemed to solve the issue. I did notice if I just press the pause button and then press resume it does not go back to the same spot so I think it's just faulty printer firmware.

As per usual, Cura is superior. 😉

Edited by jetfire158
    • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jetfire158 said:

As per usual, Cura is superior. 😉

Computer rule #37: The harder it is to change something (like firmware, or a computer BIOS), the more likely it is to have problems.

Heh....it's funny the way you see how almost every printer manufacturer, even though they have their own slicer software and always want you to use theirs, they all seem to just accept that Cura is the most widely accepted/used and just suck it up and make their stuff compatible. XD

3 hours ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

The M600 command that filament change uses should return it to the correct location, although your printer's firmware could override that default behaviour.

Anyway, thanks a ton for your help. What you said above really helped me get this figured out. 

Edited by jetfire158