Huge Difference in Travel and Infill between Ender and Ultimaker

tobias_kohlhauf

Posted · Huge Difference in Travel and Infill between Ender and Ultimaker

Hi there!

Normally i use Cura to slice prints with my Ender 3 V2 Neo. Yesterday i was using a Ultimaker S5 instead, but for the same small part to print out.
Use nearly the same parameters, the print time was supprisingly almost just the half as with my Ender. So after the print i was looking in to it more deep.

I tried to use now the exact same configuration (walls, print speed, travel, etc..) and had still the 50% time difference.

Checking the info-sign right beside the printing time tells me that the difference comes from both the Travel and Infill (which is in both configuartions 100%, lines)

I attached the screenshots. Any ideas what else i can check where this difference comes from and how i could reach the (almost) same time with my Ender?

Ender 3 V2 Neo.JPG

Ultimaker S5.JPG

EDIT: I changes the pattern to "ZigZag", as it looked different between the two printers when using "lines".
    Now they look the same and the travel speed is equal with both printers. Still the whole printing time difference is the same (Ender ~5h // Ultimaker ~3h), now the difference is all in the infill time (Ender ~3h // Ultimaker ~1h). And still i checked all the infill options.. all the same at both printers. 😞

Hey @tobias_kohlhauf,

Welcome to the UltiMaker Community 🎉

The Ender profiles are contributed by members of the community, the UltiMaker profiles have been composed by our Print Profile Experts. What's the best way that we can help here? 

It also helps if you share the version of Cura you are using and your project file. It contains the printer and settings we need for troubleshooting. To save a project file go to File -> Save project.

The profile for the Ultimaker S5 has much faster acceleration than the profile for the Ender-3 / Ender-3 v2 (which is what I used for my E3V2 Neo). Umm... it also has acceleration turned on.

S5:

"acceleration_enabled": { "value": true },
    "acceleration_prime_tower": { "value": "math.ceil(acceleration_print * 2000 / 3500)" },
    "acceleration_print": { "value": "3500" },
    "acceleration_support": { "value": "math.ceil(acceleration_print * 2000 / 3500)" },
    "acceleration_support_interface": { "value": "acceleration_topbottom" },
    "acceleration_topbottom": { "value": "math.ceil(acceleration_print * 1000 / 3500)" },
    "acceleration_wall": { "value": "math.ceil(acceleration_print * 1500 / 3500)" },
    "acceleration_wall_0": { "value": "math.ceil(acceleration_wall * 1000 / 1000)" },

The E3/E3V2 profile doesn't actually specify its own acceleration values, it inherits them from the creality_base profile, and that doesn't actually specify many of the acceleration values:

"acceleration_enabled": { "value": false },
    "acceleration_print": { "value": 500 },
    "acceleration_roofing": { "enabled": "acceleration_enabled and roofing_layer_count > 0 and top_layers > 0" },
    "acceleration_travel": { "value": 500 },
    "acceleration_travel_layer_0": { "value": "acceleration_travel" },

The rest are pulled from from the basic fdmprinter profile, and they're pretty low (since that profile is sort of a baseline).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the cool reply @Slashee_the_Cow!
    Do you know if acceleration in this matter means the physical acceleration of the motors so like way x speed²? Or just the speed multiplied by some acceleration value? Cause the first option would mean that only the "push" to the desired speed would be much faster with the S5. But i couldn't imagine that is brings down the (infill-)time so much as i saw in the comparison. 

On 10/19/2023 at 10:46 AM, MariMakes said:

Hey @tobias_kohlhauf,

Welcome to the UltiMaker Community 🎉

The Ender profiles are contributed by members of the community, the UltiMaker profiles have been composed by our Print Profile Experts. What's the best way that we can help here? 

It also helps if you share the version of Cura you are using and your project file. It contains the printer and settings we need for troubleshooting. To save a project file go to File -> Save project.

And thanks also for this reply. But as you see: I'm interested in the difference between the two profiles as Cura offer them both. Yeah, it's made for the Ultimaker.. but i was hoing for a professional quick look inside the profiles if there is something obviouse that makes them so different. 

47 minutes ago, tobias_kohlhauf said:

Thanks for the cool reply @Slashee_the_Cow!
    Do you know if acceleration in this matter means the physical acceleration of the motors so like way x speed²? Or just the speed multiplied by some acceleration value? Cause the first option would mean that only the "push" to the desired speed would be much faster with the S5. But i couldn't imagine that is brings down the (infill-)time so much as i saw in the comparison. 

The first, it's the measurement (in mm/s²) of how quickly it speeds up the motor from 0 to max speed. By default, as you can see, the Ultimaker's default for infill is 2000mm/s² while the profile for the E3/E3V2 tells Cura not to mess with the acceleration and just let the printer decide (and I think it only goes up to 1000mm/s²).

How long the infill takes can depend incredibly largely depending on your infill pattern and density. There's a couple of patterns which just generate one continuous line, which means no retraction, although you still have to slow down a bit for the corners. Several patterns though have lines that never meet anywhere, so in order to print them, it has to stop completely, retract the filamemt, move to the new location and start accelerating from scratch, which really adds up on bigger prints.