Ultimaker S5 Stuck on "PAUSED, Changing material"

wlr2678

Posted · Ultimaker S5 Stuck on "PAUSED, Changing material"

Hello, I'm about 1/4 way through a 2 day print and ran out of ultimaker white breakaway. The print automatically paused and I loaded a new spool into an empty bay which the material station detects. However, the print will not resume and is stuck on the "Paused changing materials" screen.

I assume it's because there is still filament in the bowden tube, but the option to unload or change is greyed out. Is there any other way to fix this, with out removing the bowden tubes and manually removing filament?

IMG_2074.jpg

IMG_2075.jpg

IMG_2076.jpg

• Like 1

Its expecting to fail over to a different bay not the same one.
If you load your material into one of the other bays that are not actively used for this print, it should auto switch over to that new bay.

Its not expecting you to replace the empty spool.
With that said. once it has unloaded the portion that is sticking out and fails over to the other bay, you can put another spool in that bay and it will reconsider it next time it needs to. 

• Confused 1

Hello Dustin,

Thank you for the indications as I am actually experiencing exactly the same issue with an S5 Pro Bundle and the Material Station described by "wrl2578": the Material Station is stuck in pause in the middle of a "changing material" message on the display and nothing can be done, apparently, to exit from this stall, except to switch off and on again the S5, of course loosing a 33 hours print job.

That's a very bad bug, considering it is not the first time I experience such an issues from time to time, using various firmware versions (now I am running the latest 8.3.0).

I cannot manually remove the material as the buttons on the display are all greyed out.

I cannot use the hardware button on the material station as it is coloured in blue.

Nothing happens when I load a new spool of the same material in another bay.

Is there a way to manually exit from the pause "changing material" situation, then manually remove the remaining filament and loading the new spool in the material station in a way that the S5 Pro Bundle likes?

IMG_20231126_190008.jpg

IMG_20231126_190115.jpg

IMG_20231126_190146.jpg

IMG_20231126_190234.jpg

If it's still paused this very moment, then I'd contact support immediately.  I don't know if they work weekends, plus it's already 7pm in Netherlands but they know more about this kind of thing than myself (and probably more than Dustin although he knows a lot).  They will probably email you back around 8am Europe time.  They all speak english quite well.

Click the 9 dots in the top right of this page, choose "support" then at the top click "submit a request" and then submit a case.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker S5 Stuck on "PAUSED, Changing material"

Ok "gr5", thank you for the suggestions.

I will go for asking to the official Ultimaker support, by the way, the print has to be aborted, as I cannot way until tomorrow unfortunately.

Just a comment: I suspect this is an old quite frequent issue affecting the Material Station behaviour, never solved by Ultimaker, even if I do not understand the technical reason for which a print job cannot be resumed after a switch off (a feature that could be implemented at own risk of the user of course), or why there's no way to reset the material station in such a situation without switching off the enteir S5 Pro Bundle, aborting in this way any print job in course (another feature that a 10k expensive printer should absolutely have).

Edited by 3DL-Engineering

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker S5 Stuck on "PAUSED, Changing material"

Same problem for me too (S5 Pro Bundle).

When the reel (Ultmaker CPE) is empty the material station remains paused and does not load the material (after 24 hours of printing, 50% of job).

Latest firmware uploaded.
    I'd say there must be a bug.

Any news for you?

Edit:

Following this procedure i can restart my print. (crossing fingers)

..but waiting for a firmware patch!

Edit2:

after few minutes ... new issue with other extruder (breakaway spool)

2 errors: ER65 and ER72.

Disabled "Flow sensor" and restart the print!

Stay tuned for news!! 

Edited by Skylink
    Find a temporary solution - re-edit new issue

I have the exact same issue. But, I only ran into it since updating to firmware 8.3..

I'm running 2 ultimaker S5 printers with material stations, both have the same issue since updating. 

Have contacted support and will let you know what they say. 

This issue seems to have been solved.  A firmware engineer piped in over on another topic here: