S5 Build plate fails to raise during initialization

MiguelSophion
Go to solution Solved by tomnagel,

Posted · S5 Build plate fails to raise during initialization

Our S5 has started to have the problem that it fails to raise the build platform  during it's initialization, when I start a print.

The build-plate reaches about half-way to the top when it starts making an unpleasant noise. I assume, that it is because the z-axis stepper motor is skipping steps.

If I help the S5 by applying a little bit of upwards pressure to the build plate, with my hand, it seem to go up without problems.

I have been using our S5 pro bundle printer for almost a year now, printing about 20h pr. week without any normal problems before now.

So, I thought that the lead-screw might have some dirt on it or were insufficiently lubricated, so I tried to wipe/clean it slightly with some paper cloth and applied some of the supplied grease to the lead-screw and the two guide shafts. It might helped a little bit, but the printer still fails sometimes.

Any suggestions on what to do about this? 

I had a very similar issue, and it was due to lack of lubrication.

The smooth axles should never be greased, only oiled. Only the Z-screw should be greased. 

Try cleaning the axles with some ethanol or something and applying oil (e.g. Griffon Unilube) instead. That should solve your issue.

Check Lubricate the S series axles (makerbot.com) for more detailed instructions.

• Like 1

• Solution

I advise you to clean the spindle again, and relubricate. A tiny particle caught in the grease can cause this. 
    Move the bed up and down by hand and check if you feel irregularities 

• Like 1

Hi alfonsvh and tomnagel

Before I saw your responses, did the following:

With the Z motor/spindle unpowered; I cleansed the spindle by applying a liberal amount of WD40 to the top of the spindle with a paper-towel wrapped to the bottom of the spindle below the build-plate. Then I turned the spindle by hand a to bring the build-plate to the top and allow it to lower to the bottom again by its own weight. I repeated this a couple of times and then did the same thing a couple of times with cleansing gasoline.

After the cleansing and wiping away WD40 and gasoline, I added the supplied grease and raised/lowered the build plate a couple of times.

After doing this, the printer is working again. 

• Like 1