wall / Layer offset in surface mode

neillymackers

Posted (edited) · wall / Layer offset in surface mode

Hi All

I am printing an RC plane in surface mode. There is a curious detail i encountered, this indented line around the circumference is almost totally offset and not bound to the layer above or below. 

My question is; what settings if any determine the maximum offset of single walls in general, or in surface mode specifically. 

I did print it like this but the layer bond failed almost immediately when i applied pressure to the side

Slicing tolerance inclusive does seem to close this gap but the instructions specifically call for middle slicing tolerance

image.thumb.png.5baa90d1406f03f76fc3f5712c898278.png

Edited by neillymackers
added more info

Posted · wall / Layer offset in surface mode

If you could the Cura project file (.3mf, in Cura go to File > Save Project) that would really help us to diagnose the problem.

There's about one thing that comes to mind immediately when seeing that sort of picture but I'm pretty sure the answer is no anyway: you don't have adaptive layers on, do you?

Hi @neillymackers,

This is actually a "print mode" (surface mode) I'm often using.

The only way to improve layer bonding in this mode are by reducing layer height.

You can use, say layer height is 0.1 mm, then go to experimental mode and select "use adaptive layer".

Then Cura will reduce layer height in order to make gap/climbing wall printable. This mode reduce print time, but surface finish may suffer somehow. Use Cura "Preview" to inspect your settings, oh., yes I'm using Cura 4.13.1 for RC printing.

Skipping the use of "use adaptive layer" will give better overall surface, but will reduce the "sealing" quality of a climbing wall.  Sure, this are a little about give and take -but it's your decision that counts. 🙂

I often use this approach for faster appearance checking of all types of models/projects -if this mode is possible to use.

Good luck

Thanks

Torgeir

Hi @neillymackers,

Just forgotten your to answer your question below.

My question is; what settings if any determine the maximum offset of single walls in general, or in surface mode specifically. 

There is no simple answer on this question, but consider a construction of a RC foil or an air frame.

Such constructions often have a defined wall thickness, so the answer are found in measuring in the construction itself.

All thous profiles made, are for making the model as accurate as possible, according to filament type, nozzle and printer type (so wall thickness are the limit "normally").  Ofc., An actual single wall is the thickness defined in Cura wall setting.

When we come to those special type of filament, as LW-PLA we're approaching experimental mode and here we need to find the proper setting our self.  Not an easy task..

The old version of Cura did not have any line "width" adjustment, as the new Cura Arachne have (from ver 5.0 and up).

However, for RC printing I'm using the best old version (IMO) Cura 4.13.1.

Torgeir