Advice needed on a McLaren GTS 2024 3D model

3dprintshield

Posted (edited) · Advice needed on a McLaren GTS 2024 3D model

Hi community,

I'm eyeing a beautifully detailed 3D model of the McLaren GTS 2024, priced at $95. However, I'm hesitant to make the purchase without knowing if it's feasible to print on my UltiMaker 2+ Connect using Cura.

The model: https://3dmodels.org/3d-models/mclaren-gts-2024/

I’m specifically looking for insights on:

• The printability of such a detailed model, particularly the smaller, intricate components.
  • Any necessary modifications or considerations for printing a vehicle model of this complexity.
  • The price of conversion to stl format. They want $900! 😐

I’d greatly appreciate any tips or personal experiences with similar complex 3D models.

Edited by 3dprintshield

Posted · Advice needed on a McLaren GTS 2024 3D model

It all depends. What scale you're going for and what level of quality you're hoping to get out of it/how much post processing you're willing to do.

I'd start by reaching out to them and ask for screenshots of what the 3d-printable files look like (for 900 they should be willing to do that I would hope...) to get a better idea of what that actually means. They offer STEP-files which can easily be converted for STL for free, so what more are they doing to the files to make them worth 900 bucks?

Posted · Advice needed on a McLaren GTS 2024 3D model
    11 hours ago, 3dprintshield said:
    • The price of conversion to stl format. They want $900! 😐

It would literally be cheaper to buy a 3D scanner and go to a McLaren showroom with it.

Also, I'm sorry, but I can't help but want to mock this place mercilessly (don't let me stop you buying the model from them... let them stop you buying the model from them):

image.thumb.png.0a2cb99916ef3c1580aa96378fb5adda.png

1. That sale price is a MASSIVE discount. Anyone would have to be a rational person to not rush and get it while they can.
    2. So you have to pay for STEP/IGES/Catpart (which I've never even heard of)? What do they give you for free, a photo of a clay model a 6 year old made with just a low resolution photo to go by?
    3. As @IRobertI pointed out, seriously, $900 for an STL? What happened to that bit at the bottom where it says "Free format conversion"?
    4. Wait, so the fewer polys you want, the more it costs? I can decimate something (literally, that's the term) in 30 seconds in MeshLab for free and hey, less polys. Also $50 for an asset pack for Unity or Unreal? Those will literally let you drag and drop models into them.
    5. $300 for them to bake an external texture? Are they paying a painter $300 an hour for "grey"?
    6. $1200 for a detailed interior? I think they're using your money to rent one with the excuse of being able to have a look at the interior, at least you don't have to worry about that if you're 3D printing.
    7. $50 for some Photoshop 4K images or $50 for some 300dpi images? Unless they're only planning on you printing the picture at less than 13½ inches wide (in which case the 4K version is better value), why wouldn't you just get the high resolution ones and downscale them?
    8. WTF is an "AR model kit"?
    9. Lifetime Warranty? I @%$*ing hate it when my 3D model's transmission seizes on me three weeks after the warranty runs out. What's that? 3D models don't have moving parts which can fail? ^$%&, now I feel stupid for paying for that extended warranty last time.
    10. Says "Support from author" at the bottom. With all those upsells, I hope that means the author is coming around to my house and supporting my feet while I lean back and watch Netflix while sipping on the world's third largest hot chocolate.

So many mental alarm bells ringing and the suss meter goes through the roof. IMO, yes it might suck if you're a fan, but I would avoid that place like the plague whether or not my printer could handle it. Supercar like that, surely someone is bound to make a model and post it somewhere for free. It's got to be more popular than someone who wants a detailed model of the current version of the Mazda CX-5.