Ultimaker 2+ feeder on Ultimaker 2

Go to solution Solved by gr5,

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2+ feeder on Ultimaker 2

Hello, I recently acquired an Ultimaker 2 that I am renovating, the original feeder often goes wrong. I got the feeder from an Ultimaker 2+ with the associated motor.
My question is this, is it possible to change my original feeder with this one, without having to upgrade the entire printer to an Ultimaker 2+? (the full extension being out of budget for me).
If “yes” which firmware should I install on my printer? That of the Ultimaker 2+ when I only have the feeder and not the print head of the 2+?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Edited by AntoineDiaz

• AntoineDiaz changed the title to Alimentateur Ultimaker 2+ sur Ultimaker 2
    • gr5 changed the title to Ultimaker 2+ feeder on Ultimaker 2
    • Solution
    Posted · Ultimaker 2+ feeder on Ultimaker 2

I'm pretty sure you can just change the feeder and motor and use UM2+ firmware and you will be fine but to be safe I would use the "tinkerGnome" firmware for the um2+ because it lets you change many more settings in case I forgot some detail and you need to change part back.

When changing to the UM2+ you definitely have to reverse the E axis and change the steps/mm to a different value.  Other changes in the plus are:

fans on head different orientation
    easily change nozzles on plus

higher wattage heater in print head

better teflon part (but it's the exact same shape and size - just a better type of teflon)

replaced spring with aluminum cylinder (I still like the spring better)
    smaller spool holder that holds only one spool
    better glass clips that are less likely to cut your fingers

So the heater is different which means the PID values for the heater are a little different in the um2+ firmware but I don't think it matters much.  Worst case you will see the nozzle temperature oscillating and if so you can alter the PID values.

Tinker Marlin is here: https://github.com/tinkerGnome/Ultimaker2Marlin/releases

• Heart 1