Random "flicking" of infill

jaysenodell
Go to solution Solved by Slashee_the_Cow,

Posted (edited) · Random "flicking" of infill

I think I know what I need to change to fix my little problem but I want to consult the oracles of Curia before I do something stupider than normal. 

On more than a few of my jobs I'll here the unmistakable sound of the snoz ticking the top of the infil or support (mostly infill) as the snoz travels over a section of the print. When this happens early it can pull things off the bed. May do that if the print is small base as well. It always does it with the same code over multiple runs, but not on multiple slices of the same STL (no other changes). I can't find a pattern. 

To recap:

• snoz hits infill and support crap sometimes 
  • not predictable
  • will happen within a "bad" gcode run multiple times
  • will not always happen on a single STL that is sliced multiple times (slice A bad, slice B good, slice C good, slice D bad, etc)

Because of the last two items, I have a feeling this is a settings issue more than a printer problem. Suggestions on what to look at here.

edited to add:

I'm mid print on the attached gcode. It is hitting the "base" every 15 layers for 3-5 layers (hit it 199-204 this round). Seems to be right before the move from the base to the tube section. I can't pin it down more than that. It isn't "every 15 layers" but it is more than 10, less than 20. I don't have a 3mf because this is a disposable run. Can get the defaults general defaults but can not garantee the exact same settings (on the line above were I say "multiple slice" it is the same 3mf). 

MF'er just ticket it again on layer 208. I guess it is less than 10 layers.... I just watched it hit the wall travelling from base to tube so that's definitely happening. 

Tuna Tube v4 Base.gcode

Edited by jaysenodell
adding gcode file and comment

• Solution
    Posted · Random "flicking" of infill

Well the obvious setting to change is Travel > Z Hop When Retracted, and I'd probably turn Z Hop Only Over Printed Parts on with it (it'll make it find alternate routes instead of Z hopping where possible). It'd probably help if you shared your theory so we could comment on it or maybe work on it.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the printer entirely - you need to make sure your Z offset is just right and that your Z axis control mechanism is at the right tension (if you have a screw, make sure you can - with the printer turned off - grab it with a couple of fingers and twist it a little bit and it shouldn't move, but grab it properly and you should be able to turn it to raise/lower the gantry. And definitely make sure the steps/mm is calibrated correctly for the Z axis. If things are only a little bit off it'll build up slowly over time until you get high enough for it to make a difference.

Z tension and setting seem right. but before I get into that…

Ender 3 S1 Pro

Firmware vrs 2.0.8.28 (F4 F404)

50mm calibration cube measures 49.99-50.01 

Bed does have 0.2 dish but mesh levels it fine. 
    Z offset is a bit aggressive because of that bet dish. 

Back to your comments. 

I can turn the Z screws (dual motors) with effort. I’m not sure I would say it’s significant but it is what I would expect for steppers. The linking belt is tight. Gantry level is difficult because of the dish. My last measure showed it level but today I’m off by 0.12 which is the L/R bed difference at Y0 where I tried to measure so I think I’m still level. Gantry has NO vertical play. 

Checked my defaults … Z hop is OFF. I will enable. I assume the others are off as they are hidden. I’m slow to enable advance settings until I need them. 

This print completed fine. After layer 250 no more flicking. I need to make refinements so I’ll run it again tomorrow with the Z hop changes and see how it does. 

1 hour ago, jaysenodell said:

Checked my defaults … Z hop is OFF. I will enable. I assume the others are off as they are hidden. I’m slow to enable advance settings until I need them. 

The settings to do with Z hops (like only over printed parts) are only visible once you turn on Z hops.

9 hours ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

The settings to do with Z hops (like only over printed parts) are only visible once you turn on Z hops.

Confirmed. Kind of.

12 hours ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

Z Hop When Retracted

This one is burried in another level of settings. That appears to be "expert". Let me finish my emergancy edits on these parts and get a new print started.  

13 minutes ago, jaysenodell said:

This one is burried in another level of settings. That appears to be "expert". Let me finish my emergancy edits on these parts and get a new print started.  

Sorry, I tend to forget that I have all settings visible by default and other people usually don't.

39 minutes ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

Sorry, I tend to forget that I have all settings visible by default and other people usually don't.

That and mesh tools. Not everyone has the mesh tools extension installed once I figured out how you all were getting those features I added that 🙂

Attached are the 3mf and massive gcode for the 26hr print I just kicked off. For the record, the person that I'm making these for is thrilled with how this is going so have a virtual beer on me! 

Tuna Tube v4 test at 75p.gcode Tuna Tube v4 test 75p.3mf

20 hours ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

Travel > Z Hop When Retracted, and I'd probably turn Z Hop Only Over Printed Parts on with it (it'll make it find alternate routes instead of Z hopping where possible)

This seems to have stopped the click on these if I assume that this slice would have been a clicker. I have a post-it to set it until I get all my defults updated. I'm a bit annoyed that I can't seem to get MY defaults to be the defaults all the time. maybe I'm looking at it wrong though.