new setting idea

Mulakulu
Go to solution Solved by GregValiant,

Posted · new setting idea

For bedslinger 3D printers, there should be a feature to gradually reduce acceleration as more weight is added to the bed. I sometimes experience my printer starting off silent and ending up somewhat noisy due to the added weight and force required to achieve these accelerations. This is of course only an issue with larger prints, but that's when it matters most. When the printer is going to be running for a while, and some people have their printer in their bedroom.

I realize I can fix this myself too by making a simple python program, but it'd be nice to have an official setting.

• Solution
    Posted (edited) · new setting idea

It's a post-processor so you'd have to add it from the list.  That's what it does though.

If you stick this into the "scripts" folder in your "Configuration Folder" it will be available with the other post-processing scripts.

(and yes, it will be in 5.7)

LimitXYAccelJerk.zip

If you have any problems or suggestions regarding it, now would be a good time to let me know.

Edited by GregValiant

That's awesome. I think it should be something in default profiles and such though, and it should ask you if your printer is a bedslinger if you're adding a custom printer. I get this isn't a big problem, but this could cause overheating on the motor near the end of large prints due to the high forces necessary

It's a post-processor.  That means it works on the gcode after the model has been sliced and the Cura Engine is finished.

All it does is adjust the acceleration of the Y (and/or X) downwards for tall prints.  Your comments about "overheating" and "high forces" don't make any sense to me.  Everything that post processor does can be done by the user to start a print.  The post simply allows a user to lower the accel so that violent starts and stops of the Y table don't cause the printer to throw a tall, top heavy print on the floor.

Ultimaker users are blocked as we know they aren't bed-slingers so the script would have no value to them.  For other fixed bed printers although it won't help, it can't hurt. 

F=m*a. Expecting constant acceleration with increasing mass, increases the force required to achieve those accelerations. A motor applying high forces gets warm. Even if it just slows down the print, that still gives the motor more time to cool off.

From what I've understood, Cura isn't just meant for ultimaker printers, but rather a quite general purpose slicer. I might be wrong though, but supporting bed-sligners isn't exactly a bad idea for them to keep more people in their ecosystem.

59 minutes ago, Mulakulu said:

From what I've understood, Cura isn't just meant for ultimaker printers, but rather a quite general purpose slicer. I might be wrong though, but supporting bed-sligners isn't exactly a bad idea for them to keep more people in their ecosystem.

It isn't just meant for Ultimaker printers - that's why it ships with definitions for so many printers from other brands, and also they open sourced it, so anyone (regardless of what printer they own) can contribute to improving it and adding new features. And why they're shipping @GregValiant's script in 5.7. The developers at UltiMaker ensure that it supports all the latest and greatest features for UltiMaker printers as well as doing general work.

Posted (edited) · new setting idea

Alright, I do see a problem with the script.

If the user does NOT enable "Accel Control" in Cura, then a user can enter numbers in the script that could increase the accel limit without a corresponding M204 line in the gcode setting the Accel.  I'll add a block to keep the script from running if Accel Control is not enabled.  I hadn't thought of that.

With "Accel Control Enabled" then any changes to the XY Accel Limits in M201 that increase the Accel numbers are over-ridden by the M204 lines that Cura inserts.  That will insure that Accel can only be lowered.

There is no such thing as "Fool Proof".  If a user wants to do something foolish, they are going to figure out how to do it.

See pull request #18235

Edited by GregValiant

Awesome. That wouldn't have been an issue for me since I have acceleration control on anyway, but that's still cool. I'm alright at reading gcode anyway so if I find any bugs, I'll report them back to you

21 hours ago, GregValiant said:

There is no such thing as "Fool Proof".  If a user wants to do something foolish, they are going to figure out how to do it.

I think you're getting your sayings wrong. I'm pretty sure it's "whenever you make something idiot-proof, someone invents a better idiot".

The Japanese refer to "fool proofing" as "poke-yoke" because there is no proof against a fool.

14 hours ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

I think you're getting your sayings wrong. I'm pretty sure it's "whenever you make something idiot-proof, someone invents a better idiot".

My coworkers call that "Jaysening the fool proof solution". Many an developer has cried at my desk.