Ultimaker 3E Glue Issue

Posted · Ultimaker 3E Glue Issue

Hello Everyone!

Both of our Ultimaker 3E printers have an issue involving what seems to be glue. They are both sitting on turntables, for easy access to the back of the printer, and our team noticed a sticky substance draining down the inside walls and onto the turn tables. Our current theory is that this glue is what attaches the LED light strip to the front-most inside corners of the housing and the heat of printing is causing the oozing issue. Has anyone ever experienced this issue and have any advice on how to prevent the melting/cleaning up the specific type of glue?

Thank you!

Sorry I took so long to respond. It's difficult to take pictures of because the glue is seethrough and most of the draining seems to be behind the LEDs in the front-most corners of the case. I attached an image of the residue left after we tore the printer from the platform. Has anyone seen this issue before?IMG_3688.thumb.png.a90ebdcaa23c3bfaa1fcfdcede7079e0.png

Very strange.  I have not experienced this on my UM3.  Some people use hairspray to prepare the glass bed.  I would strongly suspect this issue if you share the printers with many people.  You are supposed to spray the glass when it is not in the printer but some people spray it while still in place and it can get on the Z screw and other undesired places.

Although I don't have a front cover.  It looks like you do. Maybe it gets too hot in the plastic coverings and maybe UM used a glue gun for the LED strips and that is now melting.

Thanks for your input! The printer in owned by my team and only 4-5 people have used it. I don't think anyone has used hair spray but I'll check. The front cover is after market and is attached by screws on the outside so it probably isn't melting, I'll check it as well just in case.