Starting cura without logo

Patriboom
Go to solution Solved by Slashee_the_Cow,

Posted · Starting cura without logo

Hello everyone

I like cura and use it often.  But ... I dislike to have its pop-up window while it is loading.  How can I remove the progress window when starting Cura up ?

With LibreOffice, I have to add 

--nologo

the command line.

How to achieve the same with Cura ?

I have to say:  My computer is under Linux.  I'm forced to use the AppImage cause I can not find the Cura 5 in complete version for Debian.

Thanks.

• Solution

Unfortunately I'm not sure there is a way using the AppImage (since you can't edit it). Playing around I found you can do it by renaming (or deleting) C:\Program Files\UltiMaker Cura 5.6.0\share\cura\resources\images\cura.png on Windows. Excuse me while I go make a picture of pixel art cows in a paddock to replace it with.

As far as I'm aware there aren't any command line options for Cura (running either the binary in Windows or the AppImage in Linux. You could submit a feature request though.

I've yet to find a distro with an up to date version in its repos. My beloved OpenSUSE Tumbleweed is only up to 4.13.0 😕

I know this isn't an thing most folks want to to, but if you build from souce...

Basically, Cura as an open source project, you are able to download the sourcecode, find the place where it loads the image, comment that line of code out, execute the config comand followed by the build and it won't be able to load the image.

I would suggest that not havig a slapsh screen is a good way to wind up with a pile of "not loading" issues as you can't see if the code is executing on start up or not. If you like launching from shells with logging into stdout then no stratup screen makes sense to me. otherwise it's a UX no no.  

8 hours ago, jaysenodell said:

Basically, Cura as an open source project, you are able to download the sourcecode, find the place where it loads the image, comment that line of code out, execute the config comand followed by the build and it won't be able to load the image.

You wouldn't even need to go that far (in theory). Build it from source and you'll have all the files out in the open instead of trapped in an AppImage bubble, then you can just dispose of cura.png like you can on Windows.

1 hour ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

just dispose of cura.png like you can on Windows.

That should lead to a file open error somewhere. While it may not result in a seg or term, it's no beuno. Would be better to properly disable loading of the image. 

But this is all purely academic. Still seems like a less than good idea to me. 

2 hours ago, jaysenodell said:

That should lead to a file open error somewhere. While it may not result in a seg or term, it's no beuno. Would be better to properly disable loading of the image. 

But this is all purely academic. Still seems like a less than good idea to me. 

I have literally had the cura.png file not exist since last night and launched Cura at least a dozen times since then. At least on Windows, it's A-OK. Have you never gotten rid of the annoying logo movies that slow you down by thirty seconds EVERY TIME you launch a game?

30 minutes ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

you launch a game

I only launch games when there too much drinking or I’m losing. Because I’m old and play gin, solitaire and the occasional poker, launching requires picking all 52 cards or spending $us3 on a new deck. 

😛

44 minutes ago, jaysenodell said:

the occasional poker

We should play sometime! I'm not too bad because one of my eyes (not always the same one) is always pointing in some random direction so you can only tell half of what I'm thinking.