GCode Slice Off Center

Go to solution Solved by Slashee_the_Cow,

Posted · GCode Slice Off Center

Printer: Ender 3 Pro running Marlin

Slicer: Ultimaker Cura 5.6

Just trying to get things running again on my 3D printer and for some reason the prints are not centering properly on the print bed. I have checked all that I can but need more guidance. As you can see in the attached photos, the print has extra space on the back and side of the print on the bed even though it is centered in the Cura Slicer. 

Any and all help to try and fix this issue would be much appreciated because even doing a simple bed level test the extruder is basically printing off the side of the bed if I go full scale with attempting to level it.

Offset Bed.jpg

Screenshot 2024-02-16 190555.png

CE3PRO_Bed_Level_Test.gcode

• Solution
    Posted (edited) · GCode Slice Off Center

The home position is defined by the printer's firmware. What I suspect is happening here is that it's another case of how most Ender-3 series printers have a defined build area of 220x220 but the plate itself is actually 235x235 and a lot of custom firmware unlocks most of that, but for whatever reason in your case hasn't updated the home position to middle of the actual bed.

Try adding the following at the end of your startup gcode:

G0 F3000 X7.5 Y7.5 ; Total added is 15mm, so move by half of it
    G92 X0 Y0 ; Tell the printer that here is actually the centre of the bed

That's a band-aid solution, but if it works then you can:

a) Be apathetic about it and keep doing that.

b) Create a custom definition file in Cura that accounts for the added area.

c) See if you can adjust the firmware to move the home position.

I'm happy to help with b), but for c) you're on your own (I've only ever run stock firmware on my Ender-3s)

Edited by Slashee_the_Cow

Posted · GCode Slice Off Center
    10 minutes ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

The home position is defined by the printer's firmware. What I suspect is happening here is that it's another case of how most Ender-3 series printers have a defined build area of 220x220 but the plate itself is actually 235x235 and a lot of custom firmware unlocks most of that, but for whatever reason in your case hasn't updated the home position to middle of the actual bed.

Try adding the following at the end of your startup gcode:

G0 F3000 X7.5 Y7.5 ; Total added is 15mm, so move by half of it
    G92 X0 Y0 ; Tell the printer that here is actually the centre of the bed

That's a band-aid solution, but if it works then you can:

a) Be apathetic about it and keep doing that.

b) Create a custom definition file in Cura that accounts for the added area.

c) See if you can adjust the firmware to move the home position.

I'm happy to help with b), but for c) you're on your own (I've only ever run stock firmware on my Ender-3s)

Thank you, typically for me I have never really needed to change the base settings in cura for the printer as it worked upon startup. This was the first time I have needed to adjust those settings. I changed the build plate size to the appropriate 235x235 and it got it 95% there. I think with some minor adjustments to the offsets I can get it the rest of the way but it is trial and error at that point.

As for option C, a while ago I replaced the standard board in the printer with a SKR v1.3 board and had to adjust firmware and everything and have not touched it since. Luckily this was able to get me to a solution.

Thank you! It is much appreciated!