Should I buy second hand UMS5 R1 ?

Posted · Should I buy second hand UMS5 R1 ?

Greetings UM community… As the title suggest I am hoping for some info to make my mind up. I’m not entirely new to 3d printing as I have UM2+ since 2017 and done some occasional printing. However I’d like to get a bit more into it and produce some usable custom parts and prototypes using variety of materials depending on the part requirements. I am interested in the S5 due to the dual  printhead  setup and the ability to print in the main material and breakaway support material (alternative material for supports) … Also the fact that I found one second hand for 600 euros which I thought is fairly good price . I’d also like to be able to print in TPU but I’ve never tried it on my UM2+ and also my understanding is that it’s close to impossible with Bowden printers … so I was wondering if there is an upgrade that someone could point to which would make it possible to comfortably print TPU on the S5 utilizing the dual extrusion for different support material.

Thank you all

2 hours ago, Pa3k851 said:

Greetings UM community… As the title suggest I am hoping for some info to make my mind up. I’m not entirely new to 3d printing as I have UM2+ since 2017 and done some occasional printing. However I’d like to get a bit more into it and produce some usable custom parts and prototypes using variety of materials depending on the part requirements. I am interested in the S5 due to the dual  printhead  setup and the ability to print in the main material and breakaway support material (alternative material for supports) … Also the fact that I found one second hand for 600 euros which I thought is fairly good price . I’d also like to be able to print in TPU but I’ve never tried it on my UM2+ and also my understanding is that it’s close to impossible with Bowden printers … so I was wondering if there is an upgrade that someone could point to which would make it possible to comfortably print TPU on the S5 utilizing the dual extrusion for different support material.

Thank you all

Just FYI we use an S5 R1 to print TPU95A, and it works well without any modifications besides a little layer of glue on the glass plate.
    Tweaking some settings might be necessary depending on your print, but nothing major.

• Like 1

600 for a working S5 is no money. The printer should still give you plenty of reliable service. The S5 R1 will print TPU95A fine. My UM3 and UM3S does in any case. Using interlocking to combine TPU with other materials certainly opens up possibilities. Check some TPU/PLA combo's from my vault:

2023-04-2013_56_21.thumb.jpg.7a04d9f20c6f6656317def3f92cf81ab.jpg

This is a foot for a stopper. The black is TPU. Grippy and very wear resistant.

2023-04-2013_59_27.thumb.jpg.72ab8fca71e49c0429ac06bb6ff36994.jpg

This is where it is used

2023-08-2710_37_30.thumb.jpg.e3a0c0f0ec01702703d56051c0ff36bf.jpg

Here TPU was used to create a "spring". It has two PLA caps to make sure it remains in place in the indentations in the grip. The layer line of the joint is visible.

2024-02-2409_54_52.thumb.jpg.0053799b4e991d8884a5855c97b9a00c.jpg

This is one of 4 feet on a balance board for my standing desk. The cone is PLA and the top cylinder with dome is TPU.

• Heart 1