Feature Request: add more control over USB connection to printer

JPT58
Go to solution Solved by JPT58,

Posted · Feature Request: add more control over USB connection to printer

Hi,

Cura got a problem: You cannot really control the printer manually from Cura.

So I always have Pronterface running to issue manual commands to the printer.

But the handover of /dev/ttyUSB0 just does not work well.

Either Cura does not find the port. Removing and replugging USB does not help at all.

Or Cura does not release the port without closing Cura so I can connect from Pronterface.

Could you please either add more control over the connection or add an input box for manually issuing commands?

I am currently fiddling with auto-leveling and building Marlin and this affords a lot of manual trial and error.

Printerface isn't implemented great regarding the USB connection either. but if you want to know how to do it, check gtkterm. They show how it's done. (i.e releasing the device when plug removed so the USB# does not increase on every plug cycle)

Apart from that Cura is a great program. But I hate this behavior since I started using Cura many years ago.

Ubuntu 23.10, Kernel 6.5.0-17-generic, Cura 5.6.0 from flatpak

Creality Ender 2 Pro stm32 427 BLtouch using self built Marlin 2.1

Creality CR10-S5 stm32 427 BLtouch using self built Marlin 2.1

Thank you very much.

JPT

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to try octoprint, yes.

but that still leaves the problem of being unclear how cura claimes or releases the usb port.

15 minutes ago, JPT58 said:

that still leaves the problem of being unclear how cura claimes or releases the usb port.

Disable the USB Printing plugin (via the cogwheel icon in the Marketplace), and Cura will no longer touch your USB ports.

Which Marketplace?

Do you mean some Flatpak Management GUI?

• Solution
    Posted (edited) · Feature Request: add more control over USB connection to printer

Ok, I tried removing "all devices" from Flatseal.

Let's see if this helps.

Seems to work.

SD and USB drives still available. SATA drives not.

and cannot connect to USB printer.

fine! Thank you very much

Edited by JPT58

22 hours ago, JPT58 said:

Which Marketplace?

The Marketplace button in the top-right corner of the Cura window.

Though Marketplace seems to imply that you have to pay for stuff, all of it is free, and you do not need to be logged in to an Ultimaker account to use it.