3D Scanners?

Posted · 3D Scanners?

Has anybody had any experience with any of these, or has anyone got one?

I've seen results of prints that have come from 3D cameras and they are great, but these are from cameras costing into the thousands of £'s.

Can the small hand held and home 3D scanners on the market, which range up to about £1000, actually produce decent results?

Cheers,

Dave

Posted · 3D Scanners?

I have a 3d systems Sense hand scanner. It works good on people and larger objects, but not too well on small objects (figurines). The price was $399 US, however the device itself is almost unusable because it is attached to a USB cable. It's nearly impossible to use when a USB cord is attached to a desktop or laptop. Many people are using a MS Surface Pro 2 tablet + Sense 3d hand scanner. The tablet is $999 so keep that in mind. The software that comes with it is still new and buggy and mostly home - user grade. Pro users would find it very primitive.

Posted · 3D Scanners?

a second hand Kinect sensor (+/- € 50) with Skanect (€99) gives the same result as the Sense. The software is easy to work with. But the same usb cable...

Posted · 3D Scanners?

The research I've done on the "sense" doesn't seem to get too many positive reviews. If I was to go down the route of a Kinect, exactly what would I need to buy? I don't have any games consoles so am a little lost when it comes to that field. could you someone give a "shopping list" for a budget Kinect scanner?

Thanks,

Dave

Posted · 3D Scanners?

This is what I downloaded.

Even more movement, experimenting and pioneering going on in the scannigworld than in 3D printers, so there might be more convenient/better solutions.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindowsdev/Downloads.aspx

I had a Xbox sensor around, so used that one. has no USB connection, so needed a separate adapter.

http://www.consolepro.nl/kinect-sensor-voeding-kabel-voor-xbox-360-p-791.html

There is a USB Kinect available (without separate adapter) and a better resolution, some googeling needed for the costs.

But be prepared for some pioneering with these kind off scanner's ;).

Object has to stand still, no reflections, a steady hand and keep track of the cable.

And you need something like meshmixer to clean up the messy Mesh files.

Play some with the expert-settings in cura to get it printed.

But a lot of fun for 100-200€

Posted · 3D Scanners?

The sense *is* a kinect for all intents and purposes. They use the same technology (they even use the same chip, by the same manufactorer). The only difference is the greatly increased cost and the fact that they've added a handle to it. There are countless printable handles to be found, so I don't see any reason for the huge price increase.

If you do want to scan a bit more up close, you could also look into 'reading glasses'. These are a sort of lens mounts that can be attached to kinect / xtion to increase the accuracy & resolution of closeby scanning.

Posted · 3D Scanners?

I am looking into the David structural light scanner right now. Looks like the details are really good.