Extruder motor stops after first layer

AXH_127
Go to solution Solved by GregValiant,

Posted · Extruder motor stops after first layer

Encountered a problem where the extruder gear stops after the first layer. Print continues as normal but the extruder gear simply does not engage once the first layer is done. I downloaded and sliced my model with the creality slicer (Creality Print) yesterday and that worked, extruder gear functioned properly and print came out normal. I'm assuming I have something checked in the Cura settings that my printer can't interpret as far as controlling the extruder motor goes? Not really sure, tried google-ing a couple things but couldn't find my exact problem, randomly happened, I don't remember changing any settings.

(Creality Ender 3 S1 Pro)

If you select one of the included profiles (like "Standard") and when asked select "Discard all changes" you should get settings that work correctly for something basic like a calibration cube.

Right just curious if anyone knew of a setting(s) that generally cause that to happen. I usually tweak things where I can to make the print better so not sure what I may have done to cause that to happen, I've heard of linear advance settings doing that but I didn't have that enabled, on top of the fact I don't recall changing anything when it started doing that but I must have somewhere. I have a lot of common settings adjusted for the filament I am using that's the only reason I'm trying to find the culprit.

If you could post your Cura project file (.3mf, get it ready to print, slice it and go to File > Save Project) as well the gcode from the first (failed) print if you still have it that could help us investigate the issue.

• Like 1

• Solution
    • If "Ironing" is turned on and the settings are for something like a 0.1 line width at 10% flow then it will look as if the extruder has stopped because it is turning so slowly.  That would pretty much effect Top Skins only.
    • If the Hot End Temperature falls below some number (usually around 170° to 175°) the extruder will stop turning to avoid cold extrusions.  At the end of "LAYER:0" in the gcode there might be an M104 line that is supposed to change the printer from "Initial Layer Print Temperature" to "Print Temperature".  If that line is wrong or is mis-understood by the printer, then the hot end could shut down and extrusion would stop.

Other than those two situations:  if there is an E parameter in a movement line (G1, 2, 3) in the gcode, the extruder should move to push or pull that much material.

• Like 1

Yup that's gotta be it, I set the temp to 175, that's the lowest I've had to print at for this filament, didn't realize that the firmware wouldn't allow it, changed the 'extrude_mintemp = 160'. Thanks

After sitting at room temperature all night my hot end and bed are different by 3°.

175° sounds pretty low but every thermocouple/thermistor thing is different.

I can't get a new "minimum temperature" to save in the printer.  At power up it always goes back to 170.  If I was having a problem I would need to include an M302 in my startup.