How to start supports not from build plate

Tatuca
Go to solution Solved by GregValiant,

Posted (edited) · How to start supports not from build plate

So my idea is to build filter using gyroid supports sandwiched between two grids. I want support to start from the grid not the build plate because its blocking the holes. Is it somehow possible?

Another question is it possible to make grid with continuous lines? now its making two lines and line around the hole.  

I included my project file for experimentation.

Näyttökuva 2024-03-15 140434.png

Näyttökuva 2024-03-15 140453.png

CE3E3V2_filtteri2.3mf

Edited by Tatuca

• Solution
    Posted · How to start supports not from build plate

You need two models.

Leave a cavity in your model where you want the "filter" to be.

Design a cylinder to exactly fit in the cavity.  This will be the filter element.

Bring both models into Cura and move the "filter element" model so it is exactly in position.

With the Filter Element active, in the "Per Model" settings choose Wall Count = 0, Top Layers = 0, Bottom layers = 0, Infill Pattern = gyroid, Infill Density = 15% (or whatever you like).

image.thumb.png.fbb98ef9f9e5dd9446c28e1a314477b2.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · How to start supports not from build plate

Thank you! It work just like that. Is there any solution to my second question about the grid lines in witch way they are printed? It would in my opinion reduce print time significantly.

Another question is it possible to make grid with continuous lines? now its making two lines and line around the hole.  

Edited by Tatuca

No.  Cura works by linetype.  Inner-Walls will be completed before Outer-Walls (there is a setting to change that to Outer first).  Cura is going to print that grid as if it was made of a bunch of boxes.

There are a lot of "walls" in that model.  Your Wall Speed of 25mm/sec is a bottleneck.  If you print everything at 50 you can get the print time down to about 41 minutes.

It wouldn't actually reduce print time as much as you might think - unless you have it turned down, travel moves tend to be pretty quick.

Off the top of my head there isn't actually a way to do it though. Cura already optimises the path as much as it can (it tries to do as few travel moves as possible, especially retraction travels).

If you wanted to start getting really complicated (and you don't, this would be annoyingly complicated even for me), then you might be able to replace the inner grid with a separate mesh set as infill with the Grid pattern, which does have an option to print it as one (or as few as possible) lines, but you'd have to play with the settings until you could get it to put the grid in the right place with lines as you want them to go and that'll take you at least four times as long as just waiting for it to print without messing around with it, so just ignore my lunatic-level ravings.