Ironing only specific layer(s)

Posted · Ironing only specific layer(s)

Hello guys, so I tried printing this couple coaster and have this issue with tiny holes on top layer which I solved it with enabling "Ironing". But the problem is I like the "C" area much better in the coaster which I disabled the ironing. The texture is very nice (I dont mind the diagonal lines) but with the ironing enabled it messes up and its kinda ugly now. I cannot turn on "Iron Only Highest Layer" since the "A" area (the edge) is the highest part of the coaster. So I want the ironing to be done in the "B" area only (where the tiny holes appear) and skip ironing in the "C" area. How can I achieve this? Please help me out 😩

image.thumb.jpeg.be682c200ed1a3c24a6ca841e9f6c3ba.jpeg

I don't think there's a way to do this built into Cura. It could probably be done via a post-processing script.

For what it's worth, for top quality results with surfaces like this make sure Top/Bottom > Monotonic Top/Bottom Order and Top/Bottom > Monotonic Ironing Order are both turned on.

Posted (edited) · Ironing only specific layer(s)

There is! Place a support blocker, stretch it so that it comes into contact only with the top surfaces you want to iron (so in this case the block should start slightly below surface B, and end just above surface B and below surface A, make sure it also starts above surface C).

Go to "Per Model Settings" while having your block selected -> Modify settings for overlaps -> set it to "Cutting mesh" -> select settings -> look for "enable ironing" -> click "Enable Ironing".

If you require any specific ironing settings make sure to also tick those boxes as needed.

This *should* make it so that only the top surfaces within the "support blocker" area are being ironed.

Edit: corrected the letters

Edited by PizzaTijd

On 3/21/2024 at 2:12 PM, PizzaTijd said:

There is! Place a support blocker, stretch it so that it comes into contact only with the top surfaces you want to iron (so in this case the block should start slightly below surface B, and end just above surface B and below surface A, make sure it also starts above surface C).

Go to "Per Model Settings" while having your block selected -> Modify settings for overlaps -> set it to "Cutting mesh" -> select settings -> look for "enable ironing" -> click "Enable Ironing".

If you require any specific ironing settings make sure to also tick those boxes as needed.

This *should* make it so that only the top surfaces within the "support blocker" area are being ironed.

Edit: corrected the letters

@PizzaTijd Thank you for your response. Do I have to keep the ironing option on in the print setting? Or should I turn it off and only enable in "Per Model Settings"?

Edit: because when I slice it without the ironing enabled in print setting, its not showing any ironing lines in the preview. And when I slice with ironing on, it showing ironing lines like the usual ones not specifically on the B part. So I am bit confused, if I keep it on or not (in the general "Print Settings", in both scenarios I have of course kept ironing enabled in
    "Per Model Settings".

Capture.thumb.JPG.b4a3bc461cddb1e4b9db4ca32d72b86e.JPG

Edited by mhmdhn

I only have it enabled in the per model setting for the "Eraser" block. Are you sure that it's not ironing the spots you marked? It might not show it as a specific ironing layer, but may show in the same layer as the normal top layer.

The two images I have added show what the top layer looks like for a little dummy model I made. To simulate top layers at several heights (like you have) there are different top surfaces at different heights off-screen.

Here shows the layer about halfway through as it finished the regular top layer, before ironing

PreIron.thumb.png.80a29313892303ec60557bb3254cf7bb.png

and here it shows the head going over the same area again - the actual ironing - in the same layer.

DuringIron.thumb.png.ec2c35784a87d9482563934cd0b49cea.png

Otherwise you might also want to double-check that the "Eraser" block is actually intersecting with the desired surfaces properly (starting a bit under, and ending a bit above).

Edit: and just to be clear; I have all other ironing-related settings turned OFF in the regular settings

Edited by PizzaTijd

@PizzaTijd well perfect, now its showing the ironing lines, I think I might have something wrong before. I will do a print and see how it goes and will definitely update here.....thank you so much 😄Capture2.thumb.JPG.073802c1c2c45647b9c749b99074aee0.JPG

Okay it worked, it did only iron the B area. But I am not sure why the edges are very rough and not clean 🙃

PXL_20240325_192245523.thumb.jpg.c4ea566a9560261033c7e77abdafdfc3.jpg

A cutting mesh essentially makes Cura treat that part as a separate model, so if you have it covering a whole layer it's like printing a modifier sandwich, and having three models on top of each other is never going to give you as good a result as a single model, because it doesn't necessarily treat things like Z seams the same.

• Like 1