Nested sphere design with different filling ratios

Posted · Nested sphere design with different filling ratios

I want to print multiple nested spheres, so they will all have the same origin point. For example, the radius of one is 2mm, the other is 3mm, the other is 4mm. Also, I want the infill ratios of each to be different, 40%, 60% and 80%. How can I do that?

Thank you.

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this (although I am somewhat lacking in spatial reasoning ability, an illustration might help) - you want nested spheres, but with infill... doesn't that mean you'd just end up with a solid sphere the size of the biggest one?

Posted (edited) · Nested sphere design with different filling ratios

You can put each sphere in a different file and and then in UltiMaker Cura, go to individual item settings and change the infill percentage for each sphere. Then you arrange the spheres the way you want. Finally, Select all the objects and right click on them. This should show a menu (You should click "Group Models", also, make sure to unselect "Drop Down Model" for a free range of motion) and then the shapes will be combined to make one object. I tested it myself, and it works.

Edited by KTec
    • Like 1

1 hour ago, KTec said:

You can put each sphere in a different file and and then in UltiMaker Cura, go to individual item settings and change the infill percentage for each sphere.

If it's a sphere you only need one file and then you can just create multiple copies in Cura and scale them.

And to be specific, what KTec is referring to here is Per Model Settings, it's on the toolbar on the left hand side of the screen.

• Like 1

Thank you guys for the answers.

Let me redefine what I am really asking. I want to different infill ratios in the same sphere structure. I mean i want to graded structure. I want a sphere with a radius of 4mm to have half of it filled with 50% and the other half with 100% fill. How can I do that? I could easily do this in a rectangular structure, but I don't know how to do it in a sphere.

Hello again,

I think there may be another way for my solution.

To be clear, I want to show you the images which I want to print. You can see 2 spheres in the images. I want only the red area between the 2 spheres to be filled.

How can I achieve that?

image.jpeg

2.jpg

You don't even need to make out a hollowed sphere model. And unless you want the extra walls and skin in there, you wouldn't want to.

Here's (half of) my 60mm diameter sphere with 20% infill. I haven't moved it so its position is 0,0,0.

image.thumb.png.56f53103296b62ba1c542597b283c39e.png

Right click it and select Multiply Selected and specify that you just want one copy:

image.thumb.png.904d551b236922ba1ace6fb20f4f9ff5.png

Now where it's placed it isn't that useful, but we'll get to that in a second. First I need to scale it. Select your new one and open the Scale tool. I want my middle bit to be a 40mm diameter, so that's what I scale it to:

image.png.a99d66519f4a908e21cf8ea0a1cd7c53.png

Now we move it. Just open the move tool, turn off Drop Down Model and set it to 0,0, (big_diameter - small_diameter) ÷ 2

(in my case 10, it's half the difference between 60 and 40):

image.png.af6a212fcee499146dee48d65e2e3a97.png

image.thumb.png.7a31bcd338143acfde7f65161d79ae2c.png

Now it's a sphere inside a sphere. That's not very useful. With your smaller one selected (if you're having trouble selecting them in the model view, then click it in the model list at the bottom left, the duplicate has a (1):

image.png.fc974176a7aefe3357ccfed361c6c1e0.png

Now open the Per Model Settings tool image.png.580f0f7f5796ebd86f3778f59ef1f307.png and we want to set it to be the third type, Modify settings for overlaps:

image.thumb.png.92d109e31ba668fcf4cbaf3ad70700a9.png

Leave all the settings there as they are. It basically means "don't change them". But click Select settings at the bottom and it'll bring up this window, scroll down to the infill section and turn Infill Density on, then click close:

image.thumb.png.fbcc483197c15e7830cf2d5547065296.png

Now if I scroll to the bottom of my per model settings I can see the Infill Density setting:

image.thumb.png.89ca1a1bf8371672cbefc0129c38aea0.png

I want the inside of my sphere to be less dense. You might want more dense. It doesn't matter. I just set the infill density to 10% and voila!

image.thumb.png.5ea84bb08b7674bc3b8f11f5943914f5.png

If you're going to be moving stuff around the scene, then you want to select both by clicking one in the object list, then holding shift and clicking the other) then right click one of the entries and click Group Models:

image.thumb.png.b1acd0e88553f2893bc436cc80c4386a.png

Now if you move them, they'll both move together.

I've long since learned to stop asking "why" when it comes to what stuff people want to do but you did just give me some ideas on my quest for a perfect TPU bouncy ball that @greenieboy got stuck in my head and I haven't been able to get it out.

Hello,

I just follow your steps but to be sure can you send me your file? Then I can compare them in my computer. 

Thank you,

ps: Sorry for late answer I was not working since last message. 

Don't worry about the time thing. We've all got stuff to do.

Unfortunately my computer is currently out of commission so I can't get to it (hopefully the cable I need will arrive tomorrow).

Fortunately my mum's computer isn't so bad because it's made of my hand-me-downs and I don't even need to read my own instructions for how to do it.

So here ya go.

SphereInSphereDensity.3mf