No longer possible to set print order when printing "One at a time"!?

X-Type

Posted · No longer possible to set print order when printing "One at a time"!?

Hi

I print many parts in one go with the printer. Almost always I use "One at a time". I want to control in which order the items are printed, so I can optimize how many items I can fit onto the bed in one go.

This didn't use to be any problem, as Cura printed them in the order I had loaded or copied them.

But today I noticed in the version I am running now, Cura decided its own order regardless, and if I noted in what order Cura printed the items, and reordered them on the print bed and re-sliced, Cura re-ordered the print order, so now I cannot set the order in which the items are printed and place them on the print bed accordingly.

Or can I? and if so, how?

If this cannot be done anymore, it's a huge degradation for those of us who print many items in one go.

I am using the latest version, 5.6.0

Posted (edited) · No longer possible to set print order when printing "One at a time"!?

You must have been lucky because prior to 5.7beta there has not been a way to adjust the print order in One-at-a-Time.  It's been a source of aggravation for a lot of people.

In 5.7beta, when you set the Print Sequence to One-at-a-Time a new setting comes up below it.

When "Set Print Sequence Manually" is enabled then select a model from the object list in the lower left corner of the work space and right click on it.  There will be two new options at the bottom of the right-click menu.  They are basically "Move it up" and "Move it down" controls.

I haven't played with it much, but it looks like it works.

I don't know how much fun it would be if you had 50 models on the build plate that you wanted in an exact order.  For the four I used in the example it was quick.

oneatatime.thumb.png.6301e49945c0d402663a1990b6dec02a.png

Edited by GregValiant

Ok, Great thanks!

It used to work the way I described. I've done it many times.

31 minutes ago, Dadkitess said:

How the hell did you get that option before the 5.7 ? 😮

The way they described. In the first post.

16 hours ago, X-Type said:

This didn't use to be any problem, as Cura printed them in the order I had loaded or copied them.

Ha, I thought he answered "It used to work the way I described. I've done it many times." regarding your screenshot of the 5.7 new version, like "Yeah, I already have that menu for months" haha.

"...as Cura printed them in the order I had loaded or copied them." 

And it did work that way UNTIL you moved them around by height or some personal criteria, or deleted one, or added one after multiplying others.  There were a lot of ways to get different ordering and straightening it out was a lot of effort.

Posted (edited) · No longer possible to set print order when printing "One at a time"!?
    16 hours ago, GregValiant said:

You must have been lucky because prior to 5.7beta there has not been a way to adjust the print order in One-at-a-Time.  It's been a source of aggravation for a lot of people.

In 5.7beta, when you set the Print Sequence to One-at-a-Time a new setting comes up below it.

When "Set Print Sequence Manually" is enabled then select a model from the object list in the lower left corner of the work space and right click on it.  There will be two new options at the bottom of the right-click menu.  They are basically "Move it up" and "Move it down" controls.

I haven't played with it much, but it looks like it works.

I don't know how much fun it would be if you had 50 models on the build plate that you wanted in an exact order.  For the four I used in the example it was quick.

oneatatime.thumb.png.6301e49945c0d402663a1990b6dec02a.png

I have now downloaded and testet 5.7.0-beta.1

The objects list is there.
    But unfortunately I do not get these alternatives in the drop down menu inside the objects list.

Screenshot 2024-03-28 171845.png

Edited by X-Type

Unfortunately "One at a Time" is not available for multi-extruder printers when more than a single extruder is enabled.  You would need to disable Extruder 2.  If you happen to be using Extruder 2 for a model or for support then you are out of luck.

Like you say One-at-a-time isn't available unless Extruder 2 is disabled. Hence, I have disabled extruder 2. ;)

I had missed to turn on the Special Modes selection of Setting print sequence manually. Now it works!
    Thanks!

That option, to turn on and off that setting and having it off as default, is a little bit over-engineered IMO. Once One-at-a-time is selected those menu options in the object list could just be un-greyed. And always be there but greyed in other cases. That will also help everyone find out the options is there, too.

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated!

Edited by X-Type
    • Like 1

Actually what I ment, but I see now was not clear, is that I had forgotten to turn on the visibility of this option, so it was not even visible in the Print settings window. The fact that it is not showed by default even when One at a time is selected, makes it hard to figure out the options is available. It should at least be showed by default if One at a time is selected.

Hello!

With the Mesh Tools Plugin, setting the order is much easier
    it only needs to be set back to half

mesh tools.png