IP camera to keep a remote eye on your Ultimaker

woofy

Posted · IP camera to keep a remote eye on your Ultimaker

Feel the need to keep an eye on your Ultimaker while you are out and about? Here's a real cheap way of doing it.

If you have an old smartphone laying around, with the help of a free app it can be pressed into use as an IP camera. Another free app on your own phone will allow you to view it remotely. I used an old Android Galaxy Ace as the IP camera and a free app from the playstore - "IP Webcam". It's linked to my WIFI so no data charges to pay for.

For my main phone, also an Android device, I use "IP cam viewer lite".

The files for the Adjustable Tripod are on Youmagine.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ip-camera-tripod

Now I just need a way to turn it off if things go wrong - working on it.

I'm currently printing a hub for my faberdashery spoolholder for the next 8 hours.

View the webcam here:

woofycam.dnsdynamic.net <-- enter just this where the IP address goes, no www or @ or anything else.

port 8080

leave user name and password empty.

tripod.jpg

Yes, it's printing... :-P In white...

You should tidy up the cable of your right fan... now as it is so public... :p

EDIT: It's actually the first time I (don't) hear an UM2. It makes significantly less noise than my UM1!

So now that I can see my printer happily printing away, I need a way to switch it off if things go wrong.

And they do, this is my first attempt at the tripod.

fail1.jpg

So I decided to make an IP power switch with a standard UK wall outlet socket and a small ethernet relay module that has a free smartphone app. The box includes cable clamps and pcb mounting posts. The files will be on YouMagine later.

switchbox1.jpg

switchbox2.jpg

switchbox3.jpg

• Like 1

Just something going through my mind...

Your switch turns the printer off i assume it does the same thing as if you pressed the power button on the printer?

I don't know about this but aren't there any risks of clogging the nozzle or something? Wouldn't it be better to abort the print in the same way you do with the controller?

I think there is a discussion going on among the Marlin developers about introducing a print abort pin. Not a bad idea, if you ask me... :cool:

@Woofy: Where did you buy the electronic parts from? I'd like to replicate it here (Germany).

Thanks.

@Nico,

It's an ETH002 (2nd board down). The android app is "IO Network" from the playstore.

Show us some pictures if you make one :smile:

Thanks Woofy!

Sorry for the electronics n00bness, but what is the top part? I guess that's something I need to have for the german power outlet style. But how is it called? Thanks again.

Hi Nico,

It's a dual gang UK power socket - the type that's normally screwed to the wall.

I used something like http://uk.farnell.com/mk-electric/k2747whi/socket-outlet-2-gang-13a/dp/987207:

@Nico,

It's an ETH002 (2nd board down). The android app is "IO Network" from the playstore.

Show us some pictures if you make one :smile:

Hi Woffy,

I can't find IO network on the playstore? - does it have a longer name?

Thanks

James

Hi Woffy,

I can't find IO network on the playstore? - does it have a longer name?

Thanks

James

D'oh,

Found it on their website - search for devantech on the playstore!

hanks

James

James,

Hmm!

Its still there, I just looked.

edit - note to myself, must look for new posts before replying :)