Auto Bed leveling goes the wrong direction

mfw3
Go to solution Solved by Slashee_the_Cow,

Posted · Auto Bed leveling goes the wrong direction

I have an Ender 3V2 with a CR  Touch auto-bed leveler. I am trying to upgrade to CURA 5.7 from CURA 5.4. However when a run a project from CURA 5.7 the Auto Bed Level tries to run off the print bed.

Typically the Auto Level starts in the bottom right corner and goes in a 4x4 grid starting right to left.

autolevelcorrectdirection.thumb.jpg.4f3ad44f02c0fe92d61421ef89f26f41.jpg

Now when I run a project in CURA5.7 the auto bed level still starts in the bottom right corner but now tries to travel to the right. 

autolevelwrongdirection.thumb.jpg.5a99ce9757adba995b480e440f8a3a8a.jpg

The only change I made was the version of CURA and when I slice and run the print in CURA 5.4 it works fine.

I'm running Marlin and the only thing I do to run the Auto Level is add G29, so I am confused as to why this happens.

Notepad.thumb.png.f9faf850aaabfee4dd5103eb9dc92c79.png

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

• Solution

Have you tried running an ABL from the printer's control panel to see if it will reset it internally or something? Enders can be finnicky beasts

That shouldn't be a "cura" thing as G29 is marlin controlled. I do see the G28 preceding the G29. Is the G28 executing? Meaning are you seeing the machine home all the axis properly? 

It sounds like marlin is losing 0 on X. I have this problem on my ender as well. I have G28 as the first line in my start up code just to get 0,0,0 set before ANY other code is executed. After that I think G28 gets called a few more times, which is a pain, but it does seem to stop the "where am I" confusion I was seeing with creality's not so good version of marling on the e3s1p.

30 minutes ago, jaysenodell said:

That shouldn't be a "cura" thing as G29 is marlin controlled. I do see the G28 preceding the G29. Is the G28 executing? Meaning are you seeing the machine home all the axis properly? 

It sounds like marlin is losing 0 on X. I have this problem on my ender as well. I have G28 as the first line in my start up code just to get 0,0,0 set before ANY other code is executed. After that I think G28 gets called a few more times, which is a pain, but it does seem to stop the "where am I" confusion I was seeing with creality's not so good version of marling on the e3s1p.

Just a few notes:

• Not every printer will use 0,0,0 as a home position. Many use the home command to test the boundary of each axis and then move to a default position.
    • By default (it's controlled by firmware) a G28 will turn ABL off. It'll keep the mesh in storage, but it won't use it, if you've run it after a G29. My E3V3SE (out of the factory) is set to leave it on, but I can't speak for other models. If you want to make sure ABL is turned on, then run M420 S1
    • Sometimes I find to get my E3V3SE (and more often back when I had it, my E3V2 Neo) to home properly I'd have to turn off the printer (unlocks the stepper motors) and move the print head to a random location and move the gantry up or down a bit, so that when I turned it back on it wasn't where it thought it was so homing actually did something.
      Note: If you're going to do this, make sure homing is the first thing you do after you turn it back on. Any movement command could make it grind up against an end, which is not good for the motor.
    • As @jaysenodell said, Creality's idea of Marlin and the Marlin specification's idea of Marlin do not always see eye to eye. The most annoying thing for me is that the printer won't display M117 messages because it has the print progress screen taking up the whole UI. But there's some commands where it'll basically just respond "screw the specs, you've gotta do this my way". In my experience mostly related to different kinds of pauses (and how it responds to M600) but there's several Marlin commands that instruct the printer to turn off and I don't think any of them work (which is a shame, because if I leave something running overnight or something, the printer will stay on wasting juice until I get up and turn it off manually).

Wow, thank you so much for the info, it was really helpful!

The simple solution ended up being the answer. I ran a home position and then a ABL then the print project and it ran normally.

Thank you so much.