Support printing on air

ctb5009
Go to solution Solved by Slashee_the_Cow,

Posted · Support printing on air

I've seen a few other posts with similar titles, the advice/troubleshooting steps there didn't work for me.

Details:

Cura 5.6.0

Wall Ordering: Inside before Outside set

Support Distance Priority: Z overrides X/Y.

When I switch to Tree support the slice fails. I'm submitting that bug report next.

What else can I do?

Screenshot 2024-04-10 190054.png

CE3PRO_Drive Shaft.3mf

• Solution
    Posted · Support printing on air

It's because Support > Support X/Y Distance is high enough that the radius of the support is higher than the radius of the part below, but not higher than than the radius of the part below + its support distance, so it won't print below where it is because it would be too close to the part below.

The best fix is probably to increase Support > Support Horizontal Expansion to 1.4mm (not a scientific calculation, just played with the number until I got the result I wanted) or higher, this way it will expand so it's large enough to go around the lower part:

image.thumb.png.4b0f854fdcb31f01ff97747093aef603.png

This will keep a decent distance around the lower part so you definitely wouldn't have to clean it up:

image.thumb.png.cdb2f3593f9b1739078b863c424ad107.png

You could also lower Support X/Y Distance (and Minimum Support X/Y Distance) to 0.2mm:
    image.thumb.png.9207e6ec6c69ec97f4d4ee793d157ced.png
    but this will get the support very close to the part below:
    image.thumb.png.54300aaccf8c8bee459ca422c1f5d8e5.png

And about trees: works fine for me, but every Cura installation is its own beast. Try upgrading to 5.7, there have been tree improvements in the last few releases.

• Like 1