Cura 5.6 and 5.7 refuse to slice basic cube.

zBeeble

Posted · Cura 5.6 and 5.7 refuse to slice basic cube.

So... I run Cura 5.4 just fine.  I have a custom printer that I built myself.  Roughly following the pursa mendel format and running with Duet2wifi electronics.  When I upgraded to 5.6 and now again when I try 5.7, I get this (this is the calibration cube from the Extensions -> Parts for Calibration menu ... but it happens equally with a part that I made.  I used the calibration cube so that nobody needed to ask or examine my own part ... for whatever problems it might have.

image.thumb.png.21245396e50781763af3d9b1572cec55.png

... so note that it's not indicating any config item.  I strongly suspect that the duet printer plugin has something to do with this error ... but I don't know where to start debugging.

Another thing ... even under 5.4, after printing at least once, the interface zooms in some random amount and will no longer zoom out past that amount.  I don't know what sets the level of zoom, but it means that I re-run 5.4 a lot to  be able to look at the part.

That the generic "I'm not gonna slice this and I ain't tell you why" warning.

Do you have the Printer Settings plugin loaded?  Are any of the Cura setting boxes "red"?  I ask because some of the settings like "Max Speed Z" in the Printer Settings might be lower than a setting you have in Cura.  Something like that will cause a "won't slice" condition.

What computer system are you running Cura on?

If you post the Cura.log file (use "Help | Show Configuration Folder" to find it) it might point to something.

A Project file with the calibration cube might be helpful as well.

I have the DuetRRF printer module loaded.  I'm running on win10.  I've attached the cura.log.  Moving the print sometimes fixed it with 5.6, but does not fix this one on 5.7.

Actually... this cube (made in openscad with "cube(20);" as input, slices infinitely.  If I pause it and then unpause it, it finishes with the error.

The settings are the same as 5.4 and none of them are red.

cura.log CalibrationCube.stl CFFFP_CalibrationCube.3mf

I see a plugin in the log "PauseBackendPlugin" which I guess your "...pause it and un-pause it..." comment is referring to.  It appears to be associated with an error in the log.

Try disabling that plugin and see if things improve.

Posted (edited) · Cura 5.6 and 5.7 refuse to slice basic cube.

Oh, sure, go ahead, blame the innocent plugin 😉

I don't see how that plugin could cause CuraEngine to fail... It mostly just toggles the Cura preference to auto-slice. Pausing and unpausing effectively results in restarting the slice, which CuraEngine should be able to do just fine.

Edited by ahoeben

Ya know, I was trying to sneak that by.

There may be some issues with the "Tiled Infill" plugin (at least on certain systems).  Since they are both in the back end I thought I'd mention it.

• Laugh 1

So which plugin do you think is the issue?  Tiled infill?  It's not clear from what you're saying.

I don't see "tiled infill" as enabled.

I think I get your question about 'pause' ... when it fails, I click pause ... so it changes to 'play' ... when I then click to try slicing again ... which also fails.  Here's a new log with the printer plugin disabled.

To be clear, I think the printer plugin is responsible for the zoom problem, but this unable to slice problem continues after I disabled the printer plugin.  The log I've dragged in here is just loading it, command it to slice a cube and the printer is disabled before loading cura.

cura.log

"Tiled Infill" is in the Marketplace and I think you need to go there to disable it.

Right near the end of that log file is:

"Unable to slice with the current settings. The following settings have errors: "

But it doesn't mention the settings that have errors.  There are a couple of other errors mentioned but I'm not well versed enough in the logs to decipher them.

Maybe if @ahoeben has a minute he can take a look.  

Yeah.  I got that.  5.4 slices with these settings.  None of them AFAIK are outliers.  Is there a way I can upload my settings or turn on more debugging?

There is another plugin in the MarketPlace "Extensive Support Logging" which will add more information to the log file.

You can try setting up your slice in 5.4 and then creating a "Project File".  Open the project in 5.7 and it will carry over the settings from 5.4.  You can also export your custom setting profile from 5.4 and import it into 5.7.  Going from 5.6 to 5.7 those sorts of things carry over automatically but I don't know how many versions back Cura will go.

One error I know occurs is when the "Max Speed Z" is set to maybe 10mm/sec but the "Z-hop Speed" is set to 20mm/sec.  I know that will cause a "won't slice" and there are probably others.  Beyond that - just going down through all the settings and looking for ones that are red may net you something.