Printer no longer detected on USB after OS upgrade

Go to solution Solved by Slashee_the_Cow,

Posted · Printer no longer detected on USB after OS upgrade

Cura version: 5.7.0

Printer: Creality Ender 3 S1 Pro

Project file: N/A, the printer isn't detected before creating a project.

I've been using the Cura AppImage on Linux Mint 21.2 for a while without any serious issues.  I always have to disconnect and reconnect the USB, sometimes more than once, but I can live with that :-)
Yesterday, after finishing a successful print, I upgraded my system to Mint 21.3 and now the printer is no longer detected, regardless of how often I reconnect the USB.

I haven't looked at the debug before, because it was working OK, so I can't say whether any of the current messages are new or not.  I think the following shows the relevant parts of the debug output:

Gtk-Message: 17:19:03.767: Failed to load module "xapp-gtk3-module"
[MainThread] UM.Application.initialize [163]: Initializing UltiMaker Cura
[MainThread] UM.Application.initialize [164]: App Version 5.7.0
[MainThread] UM.Application.initialize [165]: Api Version 8.7.0
[MainThread] UM.Application.initialize [166]: Build type None
2024-05-05 17:21:26,279 - DEBUG - [JobQueueWorker [0]] USBPrinting.AutoDetectBaudJob.run [39]: Checking /dev/ttyACM0 if baud rate 76800 works. Retry nr: 1. Wait timeout: 15
2024-05-05 17:21:46,303 - DEBUG - [JobQueueWorker [0]] USBPrinting.AutoDetectBaudJob.run [39]: Checking /dev/ttyACM0 if baud rate 57600 works. Retry nr: 1. Wait timeout: 15
2024-05-05 17:22:06,327 - DEBUG - [JobQueueWorker [0]] USBPrinting.AutoDetectBaudJob.run [39]: Checking /dev/ttyACM0 if baud rate 38400 works. Retry nr: 1. Wait timeout: 15
2024-05-05 17:22:26,351 - DEBUG - [JobQueueWorker [0]] USBPrinting.AutoDetectBaudJob.run [39]: Checking /dev/ttyACM0 if baud rate 19200 works. Retry nr: 1. Wait timeout: 15
2024-05-05 17:22:46,375 - DEBUG - [JobQueueWorker [0]] USBPrinting.AutoDetectBaudJob.run [39]: Checking /dev/ttyACM0 if baud rate 9600 works. Retry nr: 1. Wait timeout: 15
2024-05-05 17:23:21,412 - DEBUG - [JobQueueWorker [0]] USBPrinting.AutoDetectBaudJob.run [77]: Unable to find a working baudrate for Serial<id=0x7f35dc51c4f0, open=True>(port='/dev/ttyACM0', baudrate=9600, bytesize=8, parity='N', stopbits=1, timeout=3, xonxoff=False, rtscts=False, dsrdtr=False)

I am not experiencing any other problems with the USB.  It still connects to my phone, web camera, graphics tablet, etc.  It's just an issue with the 3D printer.

If there is any more information needed, just let me know and I'll provide anything that's necessary.

Thanks.

• Solution

Printing over USB is deprecated and no longer officially supported. It's a relic from a time when printers didn't even have enough brains to read files from an SD card.

Unless you have a dedicated system (like OctoPrint running on a Raspberry Pi or a basic PC) it's a bad idea anyway since if your computer crashes, boom, failed print. Also if your CPU is being stressed it could take time for it to send commands which will probably end up as blobs while your printer just sits there waiting to be told what to do.

• Like 1

Thanks Slashee, but the SD card reader on my printer is broken, so that's not an alternative for me.  I hadn't had any significant problems with USB printing until yesterday (after the OS upgrade).  It's probably a change to the way hotplug is detected and reported, since I think that was necessary before.
    Thanks for the heads-up on Octoprint.  I've now got that working and printing is back on track :-)

"It still connects to my phone, web camera, graphics tablet, etc." 

None of those are "Serial" devices and that's what Cura is looking for.  I'm a Windows guy but I wonder if the OS upgrade removed the "USB - Serial" driver(?).  The driver would notice when a Serial device like a printer is plugged in and then configure the USB port for serial communication.

Re-installing Cura under your new OS might re-install the port driver.

There can be some odd effects like the driver might only affect a single USB port rather than all of them.  When you plug the printer into that one port it's OK but plugging into any other USB port the printer doesn't get noticed.  I haven't seen that with the Cura installation but I have seen it with other serial devices.