I am Interested in the S series? is it worthy for beginners.

Go to solution Solved by gr5,

• Solution
Posted · I am Interested in the S series? is it worthy for beginners.

Don't think of 3d printers as being as easy to use as 2D printers (paper printers).  Think of them like computer controlled milling machines as far as complexity and learning curve. But yes the S series are worthy for beginners but quite expensive and probably only worth buying for companies, not most individuals.  The money saved by not having to pay someone as much and have a printer that "mostly just works" is worth it when each employee is costing around $100 per hour. But if this is a hobby thing than and you are not a multi-millionaire you should consider other cheaper options.

Since a few months I also have a CNC mill... The mill is a little more scary when you upload your first gcode than the 3D printer... A tool crash is quite a bit more flying metal.

It depends a bit on what you are going for. My lab has a number of ultimakers including an S3 and in my experience they are both easy to teach beginners, and quite capable in the hands of advanced users. The S series in particular (when it is working) is very reliable, has great defaults for a huge range of materials, and still has arguably the best dual-extruder system on the market. The downside as a beginner machine is that you will make mistakes, and from what I've seen the S series is as robust as most more mid-tier hobby machines with much more expensive repair parts.

So if this is for a school / work setting where you are spending someone else's money, or if you personally find the price to be comfortable then I'd say go for it. On the other hand, if the pricetag is going to be a bit more of a stretch I'd suggest starting with a more mid-tier hobby machine and then moving on to something with multiple nozzles later once you know a bit more of what you want.

The exception to this is if you know you will be printing multi-material parts with flexible filaments. In that case save yourself the money and just start with an S3, it's where you will end up anyway.

For more specific answers, why don't you tell us a bit about what you are hoping to print?

• Like 1