Cura makes rounded parts flat after slicing and some parts disappear. Anyone know what setting to use to fix problem?

Posted · Cura makes rounded parts flat after slicing and some parts disappear. Anyone know what setting to use to fix problem?

After slicing the rounded parts on the inside turn flat and some parts are missing. I tried different settings but can't get it to work. I also tried flipping the upside down still no luck.

Can someone try slicing the model The Holy Grail2.stlto see if you can get it to work, and tell me what setting you used?

Posted · Cura makes rounded parts flat after slicing and some parts disappear. Anyone know what setting to use to fix problem?

I had the same problem even when I made it 1/8 inch thick.  

Its going to have something to do with whatever software your using to produce the model files.
    Not all software is equal and if the software is designed for modeling and not CAD (such as Blender, etc.) they often mess up the stl export process. 

I'm using Rhino CAD. Are you able to run the model in your CAD softwar to make the slicing work in Cura?

I used to use Rhino to translate point clouds (generated by laser scans) into surfaces.  They never had any thickness.

You might have to move to a different CAD software, or design the model within Rhino so that it has a cross section.

Cura works with meshes that enclose volumes.  Consider a cube which has 6 surfaces all connected along their edges so that they enclose a volume.  That would print fine.  Now consider a cube with 4 surfaces around the periphery but no top or bottom surface.  In that case there wouldn't be an enclosed volume and it could be printed, but with only a single wall.  There could be no top, no bottom, and no infill.  There would not be a valid volume and so would just be a square object.

Although Cura can slice surfaces when in "Surface" mode, it won't work on that model because the severe overhangs would cause the print to fail.

It's your project so you need to learn how to fix it so it will print.

The bowl on the right has an inisde surface that defines a volume which has a cross section of 3mm.  That bowl will print as you would expect.

image.thumb.png.3b558d65b823b67e66cbb6a83c4af218.png

Your bowl doesn't provide enough information for the slicer to know what to do with it.

image.thumb.png.b2c58bf5d3fe814dede532c59104f6ca.png

I found just turning the model on its side made it work with the mesh as it was.

image.thumb.png.07d7da17aa4f86c519e76d1fa9dfc7fb.png

I wouldn't trust that myself, but good luck.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GregValiant said:

I wouldn't trust that myself, but good luck.

I wouldn't print that without support myself, but good luck.