Weird noise coming from the ultimaker 3 print head

Posted · Weird noise coming from the ultimaker 3 print head

Hello, lately I have this weird noise coming from the print head at the start of the print when the head moves to the center

and its the only time it makes that noise, everything else works fine.

I don't know if it is concerning or not.. is there anything I can do about it?

I've heard much worse.  It doesn't sound like a problem to me.  It could be your belts are slowly disintegrating possibly.  I'd give it a few more years maybe before replacing anything.

Have you lubricated all the perimeter shafts and print head shafts with machine oil?

If you touch the belts does it leave residue on your fingers?

It could need lubricating, or the belts might be starting to show their age--UltiMaker hasn't used the sliding blocks with the black plastic blocks in a few years. 

• Like 2

Trust anything Erin says over what I say.  She's seen many more Ultimaker printers than I have and dealt with many more customers.

• Heart 1
    • Laugh 1

thank you both for the replies!

Yes I have lubricated it and the belts does not leave any residue  it  could be the belts, but it truly only makes that sound when it moves to the center.

I’m not sure if I should just leave it like that or maybe do a check up

I'd wait until it got much worse.  These printers are tough.  It's not likely to "self destruct".  And everything comes apart and is easy to replace by the user.  Parts that wear tend to be cheap (belts, bearings) and not more expensive (steppers) and if it's electronics that fail it's not because you did anything as they don't need any maintenance.

• Like 2