Underextrusion?

kris

Posted · Underextrusion?

Hi,

I have been printing with PLA using the Cura settings 'normal quality print'. Without any problems.

Now I tried the settings 'high quality print' and experience underextrusion. I did not change any other settings. The filament is from Ultimaker.

What did I do wrong? The first couple of centimetres turn out good, then it get's totally messy.

I also readjusted the platform 3 times, without effect. Also cleaned the nozzle; raised the temperature and extruded a couple of centimetres. Didn't help.

Glad if you could help.

Regards,

Kris

iwde.jpg

Posted · Underextrusion?

I'm not sure whether the 'high quality' settings use a thinner first layer - I suspect they might.

I don't think you're really getting under-extrusion so much as the plastic just isn't sticking to the bed. The first thing you should do is turn off the 'quickprint' settings, and actually start using the full cura - there aren't many settings that you really have to learn, and until you do, you'll never get the best out of your printer.

Turn off quickprint, and then go to the file menu and do 'Load profile from gcode', and load back in the 'high quality' file you're trying to print there. It will set everything up, exactly how that file was sliced, so you can see the various settings. In particular, look at the 'first layer' settings - I'd recommend printing the first layer at 0.3mm.

Also, make sure the bed is clean. Have you been using glue to get better adhesion?

Posted · Underextrusion?

Here are the results.

I noticed that sometimes the extruder stays so low for the first layer, that it is unable to extrude any material. The filament transporter starts to grind the filament then. This happens even without me changing the z-level.

8x1f.jpg

ulgi.jpg

u18i.jpg

av3j.jpg

Posted · Underextrusion?

Sounds like you need to relevel the bed, and/or use a thicker first layer setting.