Need to add 4cm to middle of tube

Nomad6666

Posted · Need to add 4cm to middle of tube

I have a tube it has threads on each end so if I just stretch it it also stretches the threads not what I want..

Is their a way to to stretch just the center of the tube 4cm leaving the ends with working threads...

if not with Cura what else can I try to do it in?

Thanks Bill

Cura doesn't have this sort of function, it's for printing models, not editing them.

Ideally you would do it in whatever program was used to create the model in the first place, using the original file from that. There's not a lot of programs around designed for editing STL files, especially in this sort of way.

On Windows you could use Microsoft 3D Builder to cut a section of the tube out, duplicate it and put it back together.

On other platforms (and Windows) FreeCAD can do it, but it's not exactly beginner friendly. OpenSCAD can do it, but how beginner friendly it is depends on your knowledge of C-style code formatting (it'd be my choice, but I've got a lot of experience with it which is why).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rwide said:

For editing .stl files, I would recommend looking into Blender. It might take a minute to learn but it's well spent time imo..

While I appreciate you trying to help, I don't think Blender is the best tool for the job here. It's not designed for producing models to be 3D printed (you can definitely make them, but I've also seen some impressively bad files that have come out of it). And for this model (a tube with screw threads on it) a CAD program is far more suitable than a mesh based editor like Blender.

I dont make recommendations like that, discussion is fine.
    But senseless arguing like above is pointless here.