Under/over-extrusion or other problem?

Posted (edited) · Under/over-extrusion or other problem?

I’m having problem with an angle “top layer”.

I have tried different filaments (PLA) and different temperatures. Is it under-/over-extrusion or any other problem, hydrated filament!? It’s only on the “top” layer. 

The printer is a Creality Ender-3 S1 PRO

IMG_6559.jpeg

IMG_6560.jpeg

Edited by nonnos

Posted · Under/over-extrusion or other problem?

What's your layer height?  I'm going to guess .06mm.  Personally I like the look of .2mm layer better than .06mm.  But many people disagree with my asthetics.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2024 at 5:04 AM, nonnos said:

I have tried different filaments (PLA) and different temperatures. Is it under-/over-extrusion or any other problem, hydrated filament!? It’s only on the “top” layer. 

Not hydrated filament. PLA doesn't absorb moisture from the atmosphere and never needs drying. I have literally gotten a 5 year old spool of PLA out of a drawer and printed fine with it straight away.

(It was stored next to a printer that had an aneurysm several years back and by the time I replaced the printer I forgot it was there)

If you could post your Cura project file for it (.3mf, get it set up then go to File > Save Project) we can have a look at all your settings to see if anything looks amiss.

I'm going to second @gr5 on the layer height - in theory a shorter layer can give you more detail, in practice I've done some pretty damn intricate prints at 0.2mm and they've come out super - and a lot quicker 🙂

It might print better in a different orientation.  Maybe with the largest opening facing down.  I can't tell thou

I'd actually recommend meshmixer for editing STLs.  I've used blender and it has a massive learning curve.  I'd say maybe 4 hours of watching videos before you can even attempt this simple change.  Meshmixer also has helpful videos and can do just this sort of thing. 

I don't like editing STL files in general so I would try to get the original file and edit it with whatever CAD was used originally.