Nozzle blockage leading to 'explosion' of PLA filament

Posted · Nozzle blockage leading to 'explosion' of PLA filament

Hi all,

The nozzle has sheered from the print core, and the PLA filament was still being fed into the print core resulting in an over flow of PLA. The project was only a basic one lasting approx. 5hours.

I have managed to remove the plate that houses the silicone nozzle cover by cutting the PLA around the nozzle - hence the marks on the nozzle. I have not removed all the PLA from this metal plate yet.

I obviously need a new print core but am nervous that this issue may happen again so was seeing if anyone has any advice. 

The print core is about 3-4 years old. I completed a clean with cleaning filament successfully. Cleaning has not been completed too regularly but it is done. The print was printing for about 1 hour before I went home and there appeared to be no issue. The printer display screen said that the print was successful.

I was under the impression that if ever there was a print core failure for whatever reason, the printer would abort/pause, so I am unsure why this didn't.

Hopefully the pictures explain this better than I have.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

PHOTO_20240726_090234.jpg

PHOTO_20240726_090244.jpg

PHOTO_20240726_090256.jpg

PHOTO_20240726_090309.jpg

I forgot to say that a similar thing happened the day before with another print core. This time the nozzle just sheered from the print core, but there was no PLA build up. I realised this after a failed print when I then took the print core out to take a look and realised the issue. Again, cleaning had been occurring and the filament was extruding before I went home from work.

Up until this point I am not aware of having any major issues. Just a few prints requiring sanding to remove PLA 'tails' on the objects.

This is also why I am concerned there may be another issue than just the print core, hence nervous about buying another and the same thing happening.

Hiya! I can't really help you 😞 but I can move this thread to the board for the printers themselves where you're going to get better answers 🙂

It seems very odd that this would happen to two print cores back to back, not sure what could specifically cause this. Are you sure the nozzle isn't accidentally crashing into the edge of the plate or something weird like that? Example: if the rear metal clips that hold the glass are bent up the nozzle can run into them.

I did have this happen to one of my cores where the nozzle cracked and filament was leaking out the crack while it printed. I assume it was just from wear and tear (heat stress, damage from crashes). If none of the wires are ripped out and the filament can still flow, the printer has no way of knowing anything is wrong.

• Like 1

Agreed, it seems strange for this to happen twice--normally if you end up with a build up of filament it's because the print came off the bed rather than a break at the heat break.

Was your front fan running properly? How often is it getting cleaned?