E3D v5 in Ultimaker 1

Posted · E3D v5 in Ultimaker 1

It depends on whether you have a thermocouple sensor (like the UM original hotend) or a thermistor (E3D standard if I read the description correctly).

What did you buy exactly?

/edit:

Note that the standard kit also uses a 12V heater cartridge, but you need a 24V cartridge. So first of all, please tell which kit you bought exactly.

I'm planning to buy version with thermistor 100K NTC Semitec and 12V 40W heater cartridge. But I also consider leaving original ultimaker aluminium block, heater and thermocouple, as I read in comments under am001 mount

Ok, just realised that you can do that :)

Maybe you should consider buying only the metal parts as you don't need most of the other stuff:

http://e3d-online.com/E3D-HotEnds/3mm-Bowden-V5-Metal-Only

You only need to buy a 30x30x10mm fan and a tube fitting, which should both be easy enough to find.

You can't use the 12V heater cartridge - it would get overloaded. You might use the thermistor (with a custom firmware only!), I don't know whether the thermistor or the thermocouple would yield better results.

/edit:

You can get the fan and tube fittings from E3D (in the spares category).

I did the same thing. I mounted E3D with UM block, thermocouple with sensor and heater. I needed to glue some additional material,because extrusion head won't reach the letf x endstop on the front and back y endstop on the left. I did the test print and I've got 2 problem with temperature I think:

1) when heated do 210 C before pront start, the ulticontroller start to jump with showing tempreture. It showed 205, 209, 216, 203, 206, 210 - range of temprateture with changing 5-6 time per second. I've turn off UM and tried again and it didn't happen again

2) when it start to print, on the firsts layers UM underextrude material. I've raised temp. to 220, then 230 C and it start print fine. On the top of print (that i've used to print well) it started to melted filament too much.

I've check the alu block on 95 and 110 with drop of water and it seems work well, so I don't know, what it could be...