after Merging models always z=1.6485mm

WWW_cura
Go to solution Solved by WWW_cura,

Posted · after Merging models always z=1.6485mm

After merging i always have either both models at z=1.6485 or sometime its only the "test" at z=1.6485
I can reproduce it every time.
The main problem is ofcourse if the "test" has z=1.6485 because its not touching the buildplate...that shows the last picture.
Anyone else has that problem ?
Ive got linux version 5.8.0 ...i attached also the test files

1-piecesatplate.thumb.png.f7d7f044f5aa810109147009da8e33bf.png1-piecesatplate_bottom.thumb.png.46d32f6b8ae78fc824d1aa865597aba7.png2-bothpiecesselectedz0.thumb.png.cf86879acc162a5f8abab1297cebd1d5.png2-bothpiecesselectedz0_bottom.thumb.png.a65ab837a9cbf6d328fb85ccea6278b3.png3-aftermergingmodelsz1_6485.thumb.png.01a257d6f1bb762781e9efbc0dc4eba9.png5-restartappandmergetestZ1_6485.thumb.png.d35ccf6271f1a29982f51712edc5ef89.pngtest 2D 3D.stltest 2D 3D(1).stl

Can't replicate myself. Imported both models, set co-ordinates for each to 0,0,0, selected both and merged, result is a combination that happily sits at 0,0,0:

image.thumb.png.1817ab4179886defdec359f8da5f58e2.png

Make sure in the Cura settings (Preferences > Configure Cura...) that Ensure models are kept apart is turned off. Also, for each model, select it, open the move tool image.png.125ec96f4c1e67876ddb90bcc9c1874f.png and make sure Drop Down Model is turned on:

image.png.75ee57f2e1aa82c6f4f4208656acd6ad.png

Just remember that a side effect (whether intended or not) from having a cutout of the text is that it'll print it on the bottom:

image.thumb.png.963f555d11f0339f1c8b083f25e9580d.png

STL files generally don't have location information in them.  3mf files do and so they are the preference for merging models.  So the results here don't surprise me.  Other than the fact that the merge is floating, the models seem to have found themselves in the XY spot-on.  It just needs to be dropped back down to the build plate.

The box is 10mm tall and the text is 6.703mm tall.  Doing a little math:  (10 - 6.703) / 2 = 1.6485.

image.thumb.png.268e0cc6d5794c2088b60606336fec48.png

10 hours ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

Can't replicate myself. Imported both models, set co-ordinates for each to 0,0,0, selected both and merged, result is a combination that happily sits at 0,0,0:

image.thumb.png.1817ab4179886defdec359f8da5f58e2.png

Make sure in the Cura settings (Preferences > Configure Cura...) that Ensure models are kept apart is turned off. Also, for each model, select it, open the move tool image.png.125ec96f4c1e67876ddb90bcc9c1874f.png and make sure Drop Down Model is turned on:

image.png.75ee57f2e1aa82c6f4f4208656acd6ad.png

Just remember that a side effect (whether intended or not) from having a cutout of the text is that it'll print it on the bottom:

image.thumb.png.963f555d11f0339f1c8b083f25e9580d.png

I made these files ..or test project so i can test the dual-print function as i thought it would be the best.
    I checked your settings and i have them accordingly ...and i also checked the were dropped at the plate.
    Nevetheless they wont merge the way they would ...after 10x maybe one time ...i clear the buildplate etc etc ...and then finally one time it was set, it might be the problem of the Linux version ? ! i will report it at github as previously suggested.
    Thanx anyway for your reply

9 hours ago, GregValiant said:

STL files generally don't have location information in them.  3mf files do and so they are the preference for merging models.  So the results here don't surprise me.  Other than the fact that the merge is floating, the models seem to have found themselves in the XY spot-on.  It just needs to be dropped back down to the build plate.

The box is 10mm tall and the text is 6.703mm tall.  Doing a little math:  (10 - 6.703) / 2 = 1.6485.

image.thumb.png.268e0cc6d5794c2088b60606336fec48.png

Yeah i know and i found out ...i also did set them at the correct location and grouped and all that ...but right ..your calculation is correct ...but still why does the software rise it during Merge ? I didnt tell it to do so ..they should both stay at he bottom.
    Ill file a report at github.
    thanx for your reply anyway

They might move by the mean distance between them.  There is nothing to tell Cura that one is a "base" model and the other is to move to the base.  I think they just both move equally and so you get that number that is halfway between one and the other.

That makes some sense though and since we're talking 3D printing it may not be true.

15 minutes ago, GregValiant said:

They might move by the mean distance between them.  There is nothing to tell Cura that one is a "base" model and the other is to move to the base.  I think they just both move equally and so you get that number that is halfway between one and the other.

That makes some sense though and since we're talking 3D printing it may not be true.

Hi,

thank you for your reply ...but the situation is like ...i have both models with Z=0 ...i select all and click merge ...and is see the word Test move up ..at the Z-value s mentioned ...and i dont know why ?
    I setup a VM with Windows and test it over there too ...maybe its a Linux (bug) issue

• Solution

Ok, it seems to be a Cura-Linux-Version bug !!

i did setup a VirtualBox VM with Windows 10 Pro and installed Cura 5.8 ...and both modells selected and clicked merge ...worked as expected !!

Thanx guys for the replys ....sorry i didnt check first if it would do it too at Windows 😞

I will mark this as a solution ...kind of at least ...i posted it already at GitHub.

I'll get to it on Github.  The Cura team has Linux systems to check it on.  I'm running Win10 and the pieces jumped on me (as noted above) so there may be something else going on.

The bottoms of the pieces were flush so they did go together correctly.

3 hours ago, GregValiant said:

I'll get to it on Github.  The Cura team has Linux systems to check it on.  I'm running Win10 and the pieces jumped on me (as noted above) so there may be something else going on.

The bottoms of the pieces were flush so they did go together correctly.

Ok thanx !!
    Also at your windows 10 ? ok .....thanx for taking care and ill see what comes ...lets hope its not to complicated.

"...lets hope its not to complicated." 

I see you're an optimist.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GregValiant said:

"...lets hope its not to complicated." 

I see you're an optimist.

ofcourse 😉 

Not a "Linux in general" thing. Still can't replicate it on my openSUSE Tumbleweed install.

*tries to insert animated GIF of process, gets repeated error messages*

Eh... the GIF is in the zip file. Can't embed it like I'd like, but you can still watch.

cura test merge.zip

8 hours ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

Not a "Linux in general" thing. Still can't replicate it on my openSUSE Tumbleweed install.

*tries to insert animated GIF of process, gets repeated error messages*

Eh... the GIF is in the zip file. Can't embed it like I'd like, but you can still watch.

cura test merge.zip 3.49 MB · 0 downloads

yeah it seems to work for you ...can you check it also with dual color ?
    Ill attach a video where you see it doest work for me ..had to zip it too

merge-cura.mkv.zip

its a video of the two files dropping at the build plate ...both at z=0 ...the ill select the text with a different color and Merge both ...and then you see

Sorry, still can't replicate. I did notice in your video that you seem to have Automatically drop models to the build plate turned off in the settings (since the models don't have Drop Down Model turned on automatically) and thought that might have something to do with it, but the only thing that changed was that when I merged them, the merge moved to the infamous Z height this is about, but they were still together (I'm guessing it moved it as an average of the heights) and I could just move it down again. (And no I don't know why it imported the text at a 90 degree angle but it doesn't seem to matter.)

I even tried disabling all my plugins (I figured only Mesh Tools might have affected it but wanted to be extra sure), same result.

cura test merge drop test.zip

24 minutes ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

Sorry, still can't replicate. I did notice in your video that you seem to have Automatically drop models to the build plate turned off in the settings (since the models don't have Drop Down Model turned on automatically) and thought that might have something to do with it, but the only thing that changed was that when I merged them, the merge moved to the infamous Z height this is about, but they were still together (I'm guessing it moved it as an average of the heights) and I could just move it down again. (And no I don't know why it imported the text at a 90 degree angle but it doesn't seem to matter.)

I even tried disabling all my plugins (I figured only Mesh Tools might have affected it but wanted to be extra sure), same result.

cura test merge drop test.zip 5.24 MB · 0 downloads

As you mentioned it ... i turned the "dropping" on and imported the 2 files ...and merged them ..same result from my side ...the text is not level with the frame.
    Just watched your video ...strange ..the models align correct ...mine is 90degree.
    Asking ...might be because of the color/filament ..underneath is reddish...just the color isnt it ?
    Your at a Windows machine ? Win10 or 11 ? 

8 hours ago, WWW_cura said:

Asking ...might be because of the color/filament ..underneath is reddish...just the color isnt it ?

After I merge them with drop down turned off, the bottom is red because it's in midair and that's Cura's way of showing it will need support, that's why the colours change back to normal once I move it down to Z0.

8 hours ago, WWW_cura said:

Your at a Windows machine ? Win10 or 11 ? 

Windows 11 😭 regularly, but I've been doing my testing on my openSUSE Tumbleweed install (bare metal, not VM) to show it's not a Linux thing (at least not Linux in general).

I'm sorry to ask what might seem like a stupid question, but... you're using the exact same STLs as you uploaded in your first post, right? Because that could make a difference. You could download the ones from your first post and test just to make sure.