Loud Noise and Belt Skipping on Ultimaker 2+ at Startup—Help Needed!

2go

Posted · Loud Noise and Belt Skipping on Ultimaker 2+ at Startup—Help Needed!

Hello! Over the past couple of weeks, 3 of my 6 printers (Ultimaker 2+) have developed a new issue.

Whenever I start a new print, the printer makes a very loud sound for a second and skips several belt teeth before the print head begins to move.

Additionally, when the printers are idle, it takes considerable force to move the print head by hand from the home position, but only in one direction (from the back of the printer toward me). It seems like it's semi-stuck in the home position, but only in that one direction. After manually moving it from the home position, the movement is smooth along all axes.

Otherwise, the machines print just fine.

What can I try to resolve this issue when I’m back in my studio tomorrow? Tightening the belts is my first thought (all belts were replaced about 6 months ago). If that doesn’t solve it, what else should I try?

Thank you.

I don't think tightening the belts will make the head moves easier. Check if the axles need lubrication. Do the axles feel sticky near the end?

IMO it's possible it's the belts. Checking to make sure they're at the correct tension can't hurt either way. The guide for making sure the belts are at the correct tension is here. If that doesn't help you fix it, you should probably contact UltiMaker Support.