Connect 3D printer

Addegraaf71

Posted · Connect 3D printer

I have a Flashforge adventure 3 printer and I want to connect it to Cura. But Cura does not see it, the printer is connected to the wifi network and has an IP number. The IP number is also not recognized. What am I doing wrong? Do add printer but is not found?

The networking functionality that comes with Cura only works with Ultimaker printers. It may be possible to install a plugin (from the Marketplace) to add functionality to connect with your Flashforge printer via the network, but I am not familiar with that printer so I don't know what networking functionality it supports.

I don't have a FlashForge printer but I've played around with a couple of their printers (as "virtual" machines) a bit to see what they would require to work with Cura.   

You might have to slice with Cura and then open the Gcode in FlashPrint and send the file from there.  It's something to try at any rate.

There are a couple of oddities that may come into play.

1. FlashPrint does not use "G0" for travel moves.  All movement lines are "G1".  Cura does use "G0" for non-extrusion moves.

2. The "F" parameter on all lines is the last parameter ("travel" example: G1 X51.40 Y-23.07 F4800).  Cura places them first (Cura "travel" example: G0 F4800 X51.40 Y-23.07).

3. The feature types are named differently.  I don't know if or how that might affect the firmware.

Cura:  ";TYPE:WALL-OUTER"

FlashPrint:  ";structure:shell-outer"

I originally wrote this post processor for the FlashPrint IDEX machines (which are multi-extruder).  I've attempted to convert the script so it will work with the Adventure 3.  It may be of some use if the FlashForge printer gets heartburn from a Cura Gcode.

What the script does:

• Converts all "G0" to "G1"'s and adds feedrate parameters when needed.
    • Moves the "F" feedrate parameter to the end of any line.
    • Renames all the features to FlashPrint style.
    • Adds the "extrusion ratio" lines.  They are hard coded to always be 1.0 (Ex:  ";extrude_ratio:1") rather than something like ";extrude_ratio:0.917431" which FlashPrint might add.  I have no idea how that will affect print quality.

I believe you would still need to to open the Cura gcode in FlashPrint and send it to the printer from there.

At any rate you can give this a try.  Unzip the file and place it into your Configuration Folder ("Help / Show Configuration Folder") and the "Scripts" sub-folder.  It will be available in Cura under "Extensions / Post Process / Modify Gcode" and then "Add a script".

FlashForgeA3Converter.zip

Let me know how it works out for you.

• Like 1

THANK YOU FOR THE TIP