Some questions

fingerpuk

Posted · Some questions

Hello. Hopefully I'm in the right place.

In Cura there seems to be no representation of any raft or bed, does this not show?

Supports, are these generated in Cura or manually in my 3D software?

I see 60 degrees C for the bed temp is popular, where do I set this?

Apologies for the short nature if my post, I'm on a bus using my phone. I'm looking to buy my printer tomorrow from iMakr in London, just nervous about this much cash leaving my account!

Cheers.

Posted · Some questions

I just tried enabling raft on a model and it shows up in layer view without problem. I've never in my life used raft though.

cura can generate support for you but as daid says himself "they suck" :) I wouldn't go quite that far, I'll say they are "sub optimal". Drawing purpose built support in your CAD program is a good option if you can as you can optimize it much better.

If you have set the machine type in cura to UM2 it wont show that setting as that temperature is set on the printer itself (as well as filament temperature/diameter and a few other settings).

Posted · Some questions

Hopefully you made the purchase. All you Londoners are rich anyway, what`s £2000 :p

Not entirely true! £2k is a big chunk of money to me, a very big chunk. I didn't buy, purely because the store has nothing in it to inspire confidence in any product they sell. No demo prints that are worthy of display, and staff who seem to be only mildly interested in 3D printing as a hobby and as such don't really have anything to offer other than teen angst and childish opinions. I wasn't inspired by the 'all the printers are shit' comment. The single demo piece run out of the UM2 at anything other than the fastest most draft quality was the person's first and only attempt at trying to print a detailed model.

It did nothing to make me want a printer. So now I'm left reconsidering.

Posted · Some questions

Awww fingerpuk... man that`s a shame. Sounds like a really shitty store. If you were closer to the midlands, you could pop into mine for a cuppa T and see the UM2 in action printing something decent :)

Posted · Some questions

I went back and spoke to somebody else who didn't try to sell me anything, but knew his stuff. It was totally different so I bought it. Printing now and desperate to learn :)

Posted · Some questions

WoooHoooo nice :)

Posted · Some questions

One thing, no matter what I set the print speed to be in Cura, the printer seems to print at whatever speed it wants, which is fast. I can turn it down to 75% or whatever, but as I don't know what speed it's now printing at it's hard to learn what it's doing.

Unless I'm judging it wrong, but 50% speed drop should be daily easy to see I'd think?

Posted · Some questions

Check that you haven't set speeds under the advanced tab that are overriding the overall speed setting.

You'll also find the bottom layer speed setting on that tab which by default is set to 20mm/s IIRC. That's the speed it will use on the very first layer and for the next 3-5 (I forget how many) layers it will slowly ramp up to the speed set in the other settings.

The minimum layer time can also come into play if what you're printing is small. That setting is at 5sec by default. If a layer will be printed faster than 5 seconds using the requested speed cura will slow that layer down to meet this limit.

And yes, a 50% speed drop will be seen and heard (the sound of the steppers changes quite dramatically).

Posted · Some questions

Cheers, I'll take a look. Printing at .075mm now, at what I set to 30mm but then turned down to 80% on the printer, and it's like a mirror finish! Hope it stays this good :-) My mates Form 1 just arrived and this is pissing all over it, and my carpet isn't now covered it goo. :)

Posted · Some questions

Wait till your mate brings you something like this:

DSC06861

Then try to print it yourself. Then cry :p

Posted · Some questions

:D

When Form release the second version with everything fixed I'll buy, because I'd love that quality.