Jump to content
UltiMaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

what's the deal with 2.85mm vs. 3mm?

Recommended Posts

Posted · what's the deal with 2.85mm vs. 3mm?

I stopped by the Inside 3D Printing Conference today in NYC and was talking with the guys from Ninja Flex. They sell a very flexible filament in both 1.75mm and 3mm sizes. I asked if their 3mm size was true 3mm or 2.85mm with a tolerance up to 3mm. They said they never heard of the 2.85mm standard and as far as they know their filament is true 3mm. How common is 2.85 and is it going to be supported by filament makers going forward?


  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · what's the deal with 2.85mm vs. 3mm?

    90% of filament that claims it is 3mm is actually 2.85mm or 2.9mm. The remaining 10% that are truly at 3.00mm are a problem for the UM and can't be used. Don't even try it. Most of these manufacturers get enough feedback that within a few years they figure out that they should be making slightly smaller filament.

    Just because an employee doesn't know about this, doesn't mean the company itself is also ignorant about this.


  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Posted · what's the deal with 2.85mm vs. 3mm?

    That's why I was confused, this was a filament manufacturing company's booth at a 3D printing conference and expo. His response to my question was "our filament is 3mm, I have never heard of 2.85mm" I guess they are part of the 10%



  • Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    • Our picks

      • UltiMaker Cura 5.3 stable released
        In this stable release, Cura 5.3 achieves yet another huge leap forward in 3D printing thanks to material interlocking! As well as introducing an expanded recommended print settings menu and lots of print quality improvements. Not to mention, a whole bunch of new printer profiles for non-UltiMaker printers!
          • Thanks
          • Like
        • 22 replies
      • Here it is. The new UltiMaker S7
        The UltiMaker S7 is built on the success of the UltiMaker S5 and its design decisions were heavily based on feedback from customers.
        So what’s new?
        The obvious change is the S7’s height. It now includes an integrated Air Manager. This filters the exhaust air of every print and also improves build temperature stability. To further enclose the build chamber the S7 only has one magnetically latched door.
        The build stack has also been completely redesigned. A PEI-coated flexible steel build plate makes a big difference to productivity. Not only do you not need tools to pop a printed part off. But we also don’t recommend using or adhesion structures for UltiMaker materials (except PC, because...it’s PC). Along with that, 4 pins and 25 magnets make it easy to replace the flex plate perfectly – even with one hand.
        The re-engineered print head has an inductive sensor which reduces noise when probing the build plate. This effectively makes it much harder to not achieve a perfect first layer, improving overall print success. We also reversed the front fan direction (fewer plastic hairs, less maintenance), made the print core door magnets stronger, and add a sensor that helps avoid flooding.

        The UltiMaker S7 also includes quality of life improvements:
        Reliable bed tilt compensation (no more thumbscrews) 2.4 and 5 GHz Wi-Fi A 1080p camera (mounted higher for a better view) Compatibility with 280+ Marketplace materials Compatibility with S5 project files (no reslicing needed) And a whole lot more  
        Curious to see the S7 in action?
        We’re hosting a free tech demo on February 7.
        It will be live and you can ask any questions to our CTO, Miguel Calvo.
        Register here for the Webinar
          • Like
        • 18 replies
      • UltiMaker Cura Alpha 🎄 Tree Support Spotlight 🎄
        Are you a fan of tree support, but dislike the removal process and the amount of filament it uses? Then we would like to invite you to try this special release of UltiMaker Cura. Brought to you by our special community contributor @thomasrahm
        We generated a special version of Cura 5.2 called 5.3.0 Alpha + Xmas. The only changes we introduced compared to UltiMaker Cura 5.2.1 are those which are needed for the new supports. So keep in mind, this is not a sneak peek for Cura 5.3 (there are some really cool new features coming up) but a spotlight release highlighting this new version of tree supports.  
          • Like
        • 22 replies
    • Create New...