3D printer environment

ajdulion

Posted · 3D printer environment

Hey guys,

As my UM2 is underway I was wondering what the best place would be to start printing once it has arrived.

i've read dust can clog up the extruder hence I was wondering if it would be a ''bad'' idea to place the machine in a room where people would smoke/have pets (dogs/cats) due to te smoke/hairs.

are there any guideline's on how far you should go to make a ''clean'' room I know it won't need a white spotless space to print but what would be bad for the printer ?

The most important things are:

1 Prevent that, adhering to the filament impurities get into the material feeder.

2 A room with low air movement should suffice.

3 Prevent large temperature changes.

3 No nicotine / tar settles everywhere, above all, to the fans, but also to the mechanics.

4 Regular maintenance of the machine: oiling, greasing, inspect.

5 Have fun during printing.

We have three cats.

Markus

The most important things are:

1 Prevent that, adhering to the filament impurities get into the material feeder.

2 A room with low air movement should suffice.

3 Prevent large temperature changes.

3 No nicotine / tar settles everywhere, above all, to the fans, but also to the mechanics.

4 Regular maintenance of the machine: oiling, greasing, inspect.

5 Have fun during printing.

We have three cats.

Markus

yeah so basicly don't use it at a place people chain smoke ;) that's what I thought (and means i'll have to find a way to have someone else babysit my UM2 for a while.

problem with the cats is I have a persian with long white hairs which are spraying all over the place so the printer room is gonna stay closed :)

thanks !

You can put a dust filter on the filament to make sure no cat/dog hairs get in there. I designed this one a while ago, but there are plenty of other alternatives if my approach isn't to your liking:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:190118

Also if your cats/dogs are curious you may want to enclose the printer so that they don't get hurt if they stick their nose/tail/paws in there. Fast and hot moving parts and all that.

As for the smoke... perfect opportunity to stop that nasty and EXPENSIVE habit ;) Ugh, I can't understand that people are (sorry, but I have to) stupid enough to still smoke these days.

To prevent drafts, I covered the open sides with turkey baking plastic sheets (oven baking plastic). It is very thin like saran wrap but will not melt if it accidentally touches the extruder. I ended covering the front with 1/8" acrylic sheet that slides into some clips.

Here is the link to the oven bags I used (available at the local grocery store):

http://www.cooking-bags.com/Products/Ovenbagrange.aspx

You could probably also make a tent from the baking plastic for the top to prevent your cat hairs from getting in.

I do not recommend waiting to print ;) Cat hairs can always be swept away while you are doing exciting things like printing!

You can put a dust filter on the filament to make sure no cat/dog hairs get in there. I designed this one a while ago, but there are plenty of other alternatives if my approach isn't to your liking:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:190118

Also if your cats/dogs are curious you may want to enclose the printer so that they don't get hurt if they stick their nose/tail/paws in there. Fast and hot moving parts and all that.

As for the smoke... perfect opportunity to stop that nasty and EXPENSIVE habit ;) Ugh, I can't understand that people are (sorry, but I have to) stupid enough to still smoke these days.

Luckey I don't smoke the idea was to place the printer at a friends house so he can watch the thing running (works from home) and he does smoke ;)

That must be a really good friend. :eek: :-P

Otherwise, I would prefer to entrust the printer my cats... :cool:

...or my wife. :???:

I hope she reads that never. :oops:

Markus

That must be a really good friend. :eek: :-P

Otherwise, I would prefer to entrust the printer my cats... :cool:

...or my wife. :???:

I hope she reads that never. :oops:

Markus

haha I can understand, thing is I more then often ''borrow'' some camera gear from him wich blows the price of the UM2 out of the water, my main reason to place it there was i'm almost always there on weekends and it can print more projects then me working a full-time job wich means if i have a 5 hours print i'll loose another 3/4 hours due to work time.

in any case the nicotine is going to be a problem (and I thought it would be) so i'll have to think of something else or try getting him to stop smoking (Wich is like telling a kid he can't have candy)

OK, this is very understandable. :cool:

Maybe you can persuade your friend:

No smoking in one room, and the door kept closed.

An alternative:

Your friend is going with his cigarette shortly into the fresh air outside. That feels good, and lasts for a maximum of 5 minutes. A heavy smoker will find it difficult, but maybe it works with a little persuasion arts.

And if I'm honest:

In fact, my wife takes care of the running printer when I go to work. :-P

Markus