Should I upgrade UM2 firmware to 14.02

printedman

Posted · Should I upgrade UM2 firmware to 14.02

I am new to Ultimaker 2. Just starting to learn how to use it. The firmware on the UM2 is Version 14.01.2.

So, should I upgrade it to 14.02?

Will it complicate my learning?

I am now use Cura 14.02. If I don't upgrade the firmware, will it create issue in printing?

Please advice, thank you.

There is no particular need to update the firmware so that you are using the firmware that matches the version of Cura you are using: there is generally not a tight coupling between the two. Indeed, as a rule, new versions of Cura need not have any different firmware at all - the UM1 firmware included in Cura remained unchanged for most of 2013.

That said, upgrading the firmware is very quick to do, and very easy. And since the UM2 is still pretty new, it does tend to get meaningful tweaks pretty often. So yes, it would be sensible to keep it up to date.

It fixes a few bugs. For example I think it fixes a bug related to setting the led brightness maybe and also customizing filament types. Maybe a bug related to disabling "move filament" feature after doing a bed level? Or maybe that bug still exists. Nothing critical but I think worth doing.

So, should I upgrade it to 14.02?

The 14.02 firmware update contains an extra feature (pause during printing) and fixes a few minor things in the maintenance menu. The update is safe to install. And I would recommend it.

Will it complicate my learning?

No, the machine will work exactly the same, nothing changed there.

I am now use Cura 14.02. If I don't upgrade the firmware, will it create issue in printing?

Nope, Cura is compatible with older and newer firmware versions. You could even use Cura 12.08 on the Ultimaker2

Upgraded to Cura - 14.03-MacOS.dmg. Thank you.