Axis rod not properly seated in sliding block - solved

cyan

Posted · Axis rod not properly seated in sliding block - solved

Hi, just received my Ultimaker 2 a few days ago and I'm very happy with the prints I'm getting so far, but I noticed that one of the axis rods isn't seated properly in the sliding block:

gallery_34919_792_46755.jpg

The shipping packaging was pretty badly crushed so Fedex clearly did their level best to destroy it, but it doesn't seem to have taken any other damage.

I've tried as much force as I'm comfortable with to push it back, but it's not budging. What is the proper way to fix this?

I'm really surprised at the quality of prints it's managed to produce even with one axis tilted like this.

Cyan

More force :-) From the outside of the printer, put both thumbs on the rod as close to the block as possible, and all your fingers under the block, and squeeze.

Thanks, I used the Force and now it's fixed :)

Printing very nicely now:

High resolution print after fixing

Still getting some issues with small overhangs curling up and the extruder melting the previous layers when it has too little of the model to work on for a layer but at least my layer alignment is basically perfect now :)

That's getting pretty good actually. I don't think you can do better on the overhangs - this robot has nasty overhangs and you did very well on those - I think that's around the best you can do.

The easiest next step is "cool head lift" to fix those antennas although it works even better if you print 2 robots side by side. Cool head lift might create some little strings that need cleanup with a razor but it will be 10X better than what you have now.

That's getting pretty good actually. I don't think you can do better on the overhangs - this robot has nasty overhangs and you did very well on those - I think that's around the best you can do.

The easiest next step is "cool head lift" to fix those antennas although it works even better if you print 2 robots side by side. Cool head lift might create some little strings that need cleanup with a razor but it will be 10X better than what you have now.

Printing at 100 micron with an extra fan and dropping the temperature to 203 C and the speed to 23 mm/s the overhangs were almost flawless, but at 60 micron I find I need to bump the temperature a bit or it struggles to extrude the material fast enough.

I'd been hunting for the "cool head lift" option for a while, your reply motivated me to hunt a bit harder, found it under "Expert config".