Plugin ShowLayer

discostu

Posted · Plugin ShowLayer

Hello,

I've created a plugin today which displays the current Printlayer on the Ulticontroller. It works with the UM1 and the Ulticontroller so far. I don't know if it also works with the UM2, since i don't know how the display on the UM2 works.

Can someone test this?

I have created also a small wiki page where you can find the plugin.

http://wiki.ultimaker.com/CuraPlugin:_Showlayer#Showlayer

If you have problems or questions just ask. It is my first python program.

Just, noticed that it does not work with multiple objects.

I am working on a fix for this problem.

Edit: Okay, multiple objects work with the first version too. But there will be a display error.

I think it works also with the UM2. For this, however, the GCode Flavor must be switched to REPRAP. Because with the UltiCode there is no command to print a message on the display.

Can someone test this?

Works ok on my UM1 with a single object. What's the meaning of the dot at the end? Seems unnecessary to me.

edit: Renewing the display leads to significant flackering on my Ulticontroller (once per layer). Do other UM1 users have the same effect or is it due to the fact my UM1 might be a bit more busy due to additional step calculation caused by different stepper drivers?

Do you have the dot by the first object?

It is strange at my printer. At the first object the dot is missing and comes only at the second. If I remove the dot, a number is missing from the first object. Everything looks good in the gcode.

The display flickers for me too.

Yes, the print I referred consisted only of one object. Don't worry too much, it's just a detail.

The flickering comes from total refresh of the display for M117 commands (Marlin internals). I may have a test what would happen if the display is only partially refreshed for a M117.

Hmm okay could you test this version?

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/DiscoStuLikesDiscoMusic/3D_Printing/master/Cura_Plugins/ShowLayer.py

If I use this version, a number is missing at the end.

I probably need to reflash the firmware of the Ulticontroller.

Hmm okay could you test this version?

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/DiscoStuLikesDiscoMusic/3D_Printing/master/Cura_Plugins/ShowLayer.py

If I use this version, a number is missing at the end.

I probably need to reflash the firmware of the Ulticontroller.

This one displays the text as it should. All numbers are present (tested only with 3 digits) and no dot at the end... :)

Okay After reflashing the firmare, it works for me too.

Uploaded the new version to the wiki.

@DiscoStu:There is something you may improve... if a cutoff is used, the layer number is not adjusted...

so...is it finally working on UM2?

The UM2 currently cannot show a message on the screen from GCode.

I don't think so... would be nice to have tough.

@DiscoStu:There is something you may improve... if a cutoff is used, the layer number is not adjusted...

Do you mean the total number which is no longer correct?

The problem is that this number already is wrong in the gcode. If you are using a cutoff, look to the end of the code. There are a few empty layers.

Do you mean the total number which is no longer correct?

The problem is that this number already is wrong in the gcode. If you are using a cutoff, look to the end of the code. There are a few empty layers.

I know... just meant that your plugin might be more clever than even Cura itself... ;)

I will. But probably not before Monday or Tuesday.

Hmmm...

Tried it at Cura2 but the post processor plugin stopped working...

Do you think this script can be ported?