ABS prints break

Posted · ABS prints break

Hi,

Today we printed our first ever ABS models.

We positioned 8 small cilinders on the baseplate and started printing.

The parts look great, but all break in the same layer however. So that is at the same building height.

Furthermore some bridge looking threads of overheated filament keeps popping out of the sides of the models.

I attached some pics as well as the settings we used.

In the printer we chafed material from PLA to ABS of course. We did not tune anything else.

Pics:

foto 1foto 2Schermafbeelding 2014 05 07 Om 09.02.45Schermafbeelding 2014 05 07 Om 09.03.06

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Hi,

There are no images in your album.

Maybe you should clarify what you mean by break?

If i understand well the parts are not printed at a precise height? Maybe it comes from the model?

What does it look like in Cura's layer view?

Aside from the printer related suggestions/tweaks you might get, try brushing some acetone on your print. Do this outdoors or in a well ventilated area. I find that acetone welds together any loose threads, and it also makes the surface quite smooth.

Use the Tools / Print One at a Time feature of Cura, and you will eliminate all that stringing. And covering the printer with a box is useless for small parts like those - the heated bed will keep them warm enough to avoid splits.

Use 240C for the filament and 100C for the heated bed.

Thanks!

What kind of filament do you use?

Different filaments will need different printing temperatures... Some ABS prints well only at 260°C...

I tried Ultimaker red ABS a few weeks ago. Part was completely useless, didn't take much force to rip it apart layer by layer. Smart ABS from Orbi-Tech however is strong enough that I have to beat it several times with a hammer in order to crush it. Even then it's hardly the layers which come apart, but the whole structure of the part.

There is also good ABS and crappy ABS on the market ;)

Haven't done enough testing to say the Ultimaker red is bad, I probably just printed it a few degrees too cool.

Also, don't use the fans! All fans off for ABS.