JPEG to STL

Posted · JPEG to STL

Hi!

I have a JPEG and converted it using embossify.com

to a STL. It didn't turn out printable so I opened the STL in Designspark Mechanical and had it as background while copying it with new lines.

Is this the best way to do this or is there any other solution.

Axel

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted · JPEG to STL

Hi Axel, this is a subject I have been focussing on in recent weeks. It is quite important for some work we are hoping we will get. I suspect this may not be particularly useful but so far…

1. I tried reading a pic file with Cura and then saving the Cura rendering as an STL file. For whatever reason I cannot get Solidworks to process the file: I need to pursue this deeper

2. We needed to be able to process an EPS (vector drawing file) but Solidworks does not read them. So I downloaded a trial of Adobe Illustrator which reads EPS files and writes AI files which Solidworks can read (allegedly). But I cannot get Solidworks to open the AI file – I need to call Solidworks support this week.
      Also AI will output DWG&DXF files but I had only partial success with those. Although I do think that was as a result of fount incompatibilities which in theory can be managed.

3. I have read that AI can let the designer draw in 3D so it could be a good method for artwork although at this stage I have no idea if .ai files would hold information that would allow a 3D modelling software package to render the result in 3D.

4. Unfortunately AI will be a dubious solution for most at 500-600 euros p.a.

5. Like you the only success we have had so far is to take a .png file and outline it in Solidworks. It was artwork rather than a real photograph but we got a good result with about 30 minutes of outlining.

6. Next step is to try embossify.com!!

If I get anywhere in the next few weeks I will repost – otherwise I will have given up!